aer lingus notice

Sep 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

aer lingus notice

Aerlingus is "Canceling scheduled flights betweein Baltimore-Washington International and Shannon from December to May."

per this morning's Annapolis MD Capital. check aerlingus.com for more info

Bummer!
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:40 AM

They will be starting a route to Florida soon though Via Shannon
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:53 AM

I guess their 'Winter Fare Sale' isn't such a great success out of BWI. We flew BWI-SNN & return last Feb/Mar. That same flight continued on to Dublin; I assume their BWI-DUB service suffers the same fate.

It's a shame: BWI was so un-crowded and Passenger friendly ... The Amtrak station right there and free shuttle buses up to the Terminals. Immigration and Customs at BWI were a 'breeze;' and they've even got reasonably priced long term parking there.

The Military is also cutting back on the number of (Patriot Express) 'Charters' into and out of BWI. That leaves Southwest Airlines almost by itself at BWI
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Funny, currently the lowest price trip to Ireland on expedia in May is on AA/AL and goes through Baltimore. Looks like that really won't happen.

Another odd kink last week is that, on expedia, when I looked up a price using IE is was $150.00 less that it was when I looked it up on Netscape. The price was below $600.00 which is the line that I draw saying that it's a good deal, so I booked. The price is back up to $770 now. Orbitz has some slightly better prices but with some strange connections.

Bill
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Aer Lingus has apparently decided to transform itself into a low-cost carrier. It's leaving the oneworld alliance, possibly dropping business class on many if not all routes, and otherwise becoming a Ryanair wannabe. Judging from reviews one reads on flyertalk.com, the service is already been degraded to LCC equivalence; one would think the route system would follow shortly. I suspect it's only a matter of time before one of the Euro LCCs (aside from BMI) starts running £100 walk-up transatlantic service where bottled water costs £1 and they ask for the in-flight magazines back at the end. Hmmm... perhaps they could call it "Skytrain."
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Maybe they are just going to have seasonal service from/to BWI, like US Airways has from/to PHL.

Aer Lingus is already competing head-to-head with RyanAir on European routes out of SNN and DUB. Now they may want to take on Virgin Atlantic on TransAtlantic routes.

Seasonal-only service between certain destinations may save Aer Lingus some big bucks.
Sep 28th, 2004, 02:49 AM

Aer Lingus has done this before. They've cancelled the BWI/Shannon route at least once before, and then brought it back a couple of years later.
Sep 28th, 2004, 02:50 AM

Just to clarify--they completely cancelled the service, not just for certain times of the year.
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM

I just got an e-mail from AerLingus promoting their new Dublin-Orlando service: Great timing!

Their (from) 475 Euros roundtrip fare is no bargain as long as the US Dollar remains weak against the Euro. They have also adopted a 4 Euro charge for using a Credit Card to purchase tickets (just like RyanAir). Catch-22: That's the only way you can purchase them on line.