AER LINGUS IS HAVING A SALE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to respond to a thread posted by Elaine about short jaunts to Europe this winter, but wasn't able to post in that same thread! Anyway, in the papers yesterday, AER LINGUS announced a fare sale from New York-Shannon/Dublin. As I remember, you have to pay by the end of August, but they seem to be offering very low-cost fares on and off through the fall and winter. Also, AER LINGUS is competing with some of the low-cost carriers, so it might be possible to grab a very good deal from Ireland to some other European cities. Hope somebody can take advantage of this!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:38 PM

these fares are very good.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
rex

Yes, and it's worth mentioning that they are graduated from $99 to $199 (each way, taxes are extra, and these are from BOS or NYC) - - running all the way through next JUNE!

Unless you distrust letting them have your money for a year (when they are clearly running a very tight and difficult business, in which their competitors are threatened by possible bankruptcy almost daily), this is potentially a pretty good way to lock in some low (early) summer fares!

(Okay, the fares end just as the first day of summer is arriving - - but I am still of the old midwestern mindset that summer arrives on Memorial Day weekend!)

And remember, with Ryanair (and to a lesser extent, Aer Lingus itself), you can get from Ireland to ANYwhere in Europe! Cheaply.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM

I just spent some time on Aer Lingus's website, and it looks as if the low fares from New York aren't available until January 2006, while the low fares from Boston are available starting in November 2005. Am I missing something, or is that the deal?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34664959

and

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34641133
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM

Maybe I still need to fiddle with the dates, but the only AA flights I found that offer that fare from New York in November would require me to go from New York to Dublin by way of Chicago (and from Dublin to New York by way of Chicago), which doesn't appeal.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:12 PM

I'll save you the time. AA does not have a direct to DUB from NYC. Connecting through BOS or ORD are your best shots. This was a very popular sale so it's possible that the BOS low fares are pretty much gone by now and that's why you are getting NYC-ORD-DUB.

Try to "force" it through BOS. Do a multi-city res and try NYC-BOS and then BOS-DUB, obviously the reverse on return and see what kind of fares you get for the dates you want/need.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:16 PM

If you give me the range of acceptable dates I'll see if I can find anything through BOS. Don't give up on AerLingus, it may work better for you. They do fly NYC-DUB, but as I said, this sale has been going on for 2 months now. Many dates are long gone.

Good luck!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think we're likely to find anything. After reading your previous post, I tried several date combinations, and the results were all "No flights were found".

It isn't a big deal -- I just have some vacation I have to use up by the end of the year, and thought if I could get a good fare to Dublin in November, it would be a good way to use the time. It looks like the solution may be to find somewhere else to go in November, and then take a separate trip to Ireland on Aer Lingus sometime next spring!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM

Correction -

AA does not fly BOS-DUB

ORD is the only city,

but they do fly BOS-Shannon.

Sorry...

Good luck with AerLingus!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM

Wrong again. AA only has ORD-DUB, so that's the only way to do it.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:38 PM

Just to expand horizons a little - some of their fares to the UK & mainland Europe are also excellent. Admittedly you need a little luck with your dates but if you can be flexible their prices can be comparable to Ryanair whilst they tend to use more "mainstream" airports than the latter.

Jim
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:41 PM

Sorry - should have made it clear that I was talking about fares to the UK & Europe from Dublin.

Jim