First visit

Jun 26th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

First visit

We have started thinking about a trip to england in 2005.

first , when does England have the best weather?

second, what is average airfare from NYC/PHL to London>

Thanks

Melissa
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Okay, I'll bite. The United Kingdom has the best weather from late May until early September. It's a mild climate because of the sea's influence. The "average airfare" depends on the time of year and it's much higher in the summer. November through the end of March 2004 (excluding holidays), airfare could be found under $400 (sometimes well under). It could be as much as double for summer and sometimes even more, depending on when and what you buy.
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:12 PM

The fact that the Queen's official birthday celebration is held in June should tell you something, as it takes place out of doors.
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM
rex

<<when does England have the best weather?>>

about 30 minutes before it turns dismal again.

for a more statistical answer, see www.weatherbase.com

<<what is average airfare from NYC/PHL to London>>

Most of us aspire to have airfares like the children of Lake Wobegon (where none of the children are average - - so, presumably you mean, typical, attainable, bargain airfares.

Even then, it's no less than a matrix in a 3 by 4 box:

On the X axis - - lowest season (Nov 1-Apr 1, usually), mid season (May, June and October, though quite variable) or peak season (July, Aug and most of September)

and on the Y axis - - bought how many days in advance? for how long a stay? with upgrade-ability or (partial) refund-ability? bought from a consolidator, on an auction site, on a special promotion, or as part of regularly published fares?

I really do not know what the "average" fare is - - since more passengers fly this route in peak season, and a minority of them apply the methods which can result in lower fares, the mean price in coach, year-round might be as high as $800.

Right this minute, you could buy a ticket for $348 (all taxes included) to travel Thursday to Thursday in September on Kuwait Airlines - - even on the best of promotions in the dead of winter, fares rarely drop below about $225 (for one thing, the taxes are about $115 nowadays, regardless of the fare).

On the other hand, if you NEED to put together a trip to leave by this Monday morning, and come back two days later, with full refundability, the lowest fares are over $1400 - - and it's still going to be in a cattle-car coach seat (perhaps inferior to the seat on Kuwait Airlines!)

Between tomorrow and November 1, there are almost 40 different priced fares on 20 airlines, showing up right now on Travelocity, if you use the "flexible dates" option - - all under $450 (before taxes), so the typical, attainable, bargain airfare you should be looking for is somewhere between $300 and $600, in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:53 AM

The best weather is May through September. Air fares are much higher during these months. If you can I would personally avoid July and August because that's when the schools are off and places are much busier then. Air fare is high at this time as well.

You could also have a look at www.weather.com. You will see we don't really get extreme weather at any time. You will find our summers and winters much more tolerable than New York for example (though we did hit 100F last summer for the first time).

As I live in London I can't really help you with your airfare question but I would say that your best prices will probably be out of NYC, I have had some terrific deals going from London to NYC the past few years.
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your answers. at least, it has given me something to think about.

I guess that we would try to go in may as September is the beginning of school and i would rather take my children out at the end of school

how far in advance should I start looking at airfares?
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:16 AM
ira

Hi,

I suggest that you start tracking air fares now.

I expect that you will see fairly low prices in Nov.
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:15 AM
rex

<<I suggest that you start tracking air fares now.>>

This can require little or no effort on your part. Both travelocity and expedia have a "fare tracker" service which will send you an e-mail as the fares rise and fall throughout the year. You can track up to five city pairs. Use "NYC" rather than JFK or EWR, and it will track any New York City area airports.

<<I expect that you will see fairly low prices in Nov.>>

But I am surprised that ira proposes you need to BUY in November. It's true, there will be some of the lowest airfares of the year start to appear in November. But for travel in May the same (or lower) promotional fares will be offered in January and February, perhaps with more seats available for the dates you want to travel. You can also find bargains as late as the first two weeks in June nearly as good as the fares of May, though they require more diligence to catch them - - and may not appear until later in the spring. Makes it hard for a family to plan if saving, say... $200 per person... will make or break your ability to take and enjoy the trip.
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:56 AM

I would agree with Rex on booking a May or early June visit: the best fares for that probably won't appear until January. For November 2004 through mid-March 2005, there are already some good fares showing up now. And as they say in those investment ads: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:54 PM

We were just there 2 weeks ago-- it was low to mid 70s every day and we hit not a drop of rain. Great for walking around. We were really lucky. My wife traveled there in January once and remembers being pretty cold-- but the prices are better then!