Two and a Half full Days in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are going to London this summer and arriving Tuesday afternoon and leaving on Friday. I am overwhelmed by what to see. Please, can someone give us the most efficient way to see London - hit the high points?
Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:28 AM

It's been said before, and it's a good idea - take one of the hop-on-hop-off bus tours - they're everywhere - and take a full circle around London, then decide which sites you've passed interest yuuo the most and hop off there to visit. The tickets are valid for 24 hours I believe.

IMO the "high points" of London would include Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, St. Pauls Cathedral, Big Ben, London Eye, Tower of London, and Harrods. But that's just me - your interests may lie elsewhere.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Ben Haines has posted a very helpful response to this question:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34498192

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I agree that the Hop on Hop off buses give you the most bang for your buck (and time). It also includes a boat trip so you can wind up at the London Tower. Do that at the end of your 24 hour ticket and take the tube back. I believe St. Paul's is mostly covered in scaffolding right now. I would recommend fitting in the London Eye for a bird's eye view of things. Do you want to catch a show? Check out the half price booth, TKTS, on the day you want to go.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:56 AM

We also enjoyed the GLobe theater tour, tate modern, british and Victoria and Albert museums. London is a bit town, but has a great tube system to get you around quickly. We were there for 3.5 days, spent 1 day with the hop on/off tour (with the tour took the river cruise & fast track entry to the tower). We visited the museum I mentioned, Buckingham Palace and saw a play. You should narrow down and prioritize those site you'd like to visit and plan it out on a map.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:57 AM

I meant to say big, not bit town.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:12 PM

St. Paul's *is* mostly covered in scaffolding - inside and out. Glad to have seen it once before our trip in May, would have been quite disappointed otherwise. If you feel like climbing to the very top, though, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy yourself!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Hi,

In terms of "efficiency", plot out the sights you intend to see on a map of London. Try to group them by area and in a logical order so that you don't spend too much time criss-crossing the city.

That said, I would aim for a more relaxing pace, rather than simple efficiency. Two and a half days won't allow you to see all of London, not by any means. You could exhaust yourself trying to "do it all" and not enjoy your visit. But you can see some of it now and more when you return on a future trip

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:23 PM

I just returned from my first trip to London and was really taken with how beautiful the parks are. We had three full days in London that started with a hop on/hop off bus tour the day we arrived. In those three days we saw Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, London Bridge, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Harrods, and took the light rail out to Greenwich one afternoon. We also had a picnic in Hyde Park, which turned out to be a favorite activity of mine. What beautiful roses!

We found the metro really easy to use and everyone very helpful.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:10 AM

I took the Big Bus tour of London. There are three routes. One, the red, covers most of central London and has a live guide. However, the blue route, with a recorded narrative is much more comprehensive in its route and covers more territory. I enjoyed the narrative more than the guide on the live tour. The green route takes you up by the British Museum. I would take the blue route first, and then the green.

Bring an extra layer. Temp was in the 60's the day I went and comfort level on the top of the bus depended on the fickle sun coming in and out of the clouds.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:09 AM

We loved:

big red bus tour
Tower of London
an afternoon at the theatre
Madame Tussaud's
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Just as a note, some things, like Parlaiment, and occasionally the Big Eye, require arrangements in advance. If you are interested in seeing these things, make arrangements so you aren't disappointed!

The first time I was in London, I hit the following in three days:
Hyde Park (picniced, as my hotel was across the street)
Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum
Tower of London (and I've returned every trip!)
Westminster Abbey
Windsor Castle
Hatfield House
Hampton Court

The Windsor Castle/Hatfield House was the one full tour I ever did, a day trip in a bus, that ended in a medieval banquet at Hatfield House. Touristy, but fun.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Hi Elainep
In addition to the great advice above, if you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, you will eventually get to fodors's London info, which includes itineraries for a short visit.The fodors (book) guide to London has even more walking tour suggestions.
I believe another version can be found at frommers.com

My suggestions for a first visit (these are things that interest ME, and you may or may not have time for all of them):

Tower of London (take the Yeoman Warder's Tour)
Walk or Tube to St Paul's from there
Museum of London if you like history--there's a lot to see, but it offers a great summary of London's past
The above three would be one very full day--if you don't want the Museum of L., do the London Eye or Globe Theatre instead.

W'minster Abbey (and take the Verger's tour)
Cabinet War Rooms (near W. Abbey)if you have interest in WWII
Changing of the Guard at Horse Guards, if you want a little pageantry
Feed the ducks in St James's Park if you like, walk past Buck. Palace, cut through Green Park. You will be on Piccadilly.
You can head toward Harrods and the V &A Museum if you like, or turn the other way and walk toward Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery.
You can detour for half-price theatre tickets at Leceister Square if you like, buy tickets for an evening performance.

For the half day, pick something that really interests you, such as shopping or a stroll though Chelsea or an afternoon tea or Kew Gardens or the British Museum. Or a special-topic walking tour from London Walks.

I have a long file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me at
ESL1051yahoo.com
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM

My family and I just returned from there. We avoided the bus tours-- just personal preference. I think what we most enjoyed was the Tower of London, spent 4 hours there. After that, St. Paul's Cathedral (we climbed the 1000+ steps up and down to the top of the dome), then Westminster Abbey. Buckingham Palace and Changing of the Guards next, then the Globe Theatre. You can cover a lot of ground-- Fodor's guidebook to London has a 3-day itinerary in it you might look at and adjust to your liking.