London in three days?

Dec 15th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

London in three days?

This will be my first visit. I am staying at the Kensington Close Hotel & Health Spa and would love to hear your suggestions on how to get a good fill of London. What are some of the must-sees/dos in your opinion?
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:21 AM

Bijou; there are so many posts on this forum about what to do in London; search for them first. I can't tell you how to plan an itinerary for London. See what you would like to do, and if you have any specific questions, do post them.
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:53 AM

Hi
if you click at the top of this screen on Destinations you will get to fodors's recommendations for London, including suggested itineraries for short visits.
I also have a file on London, if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

Buy a Streetwise London map, available at amazon.com or most chain bookstores (in the US)

some of the usuals for a first visit:
Tower of London
Westminster Abbey
St Paul's Cathedral
World War II Cabinet War Rooms
British Museum
National Gallery
Museum of London (near St Paul's)

afternoon tea (there are many choices, plain and fancy, but some of the fancy ones require advance reservations)

theatre (for browsing, see officiallondontheatreguide)
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Hi - First of all are you only travelling to London for 3 days - or are you going in 3 days for a longer period?

Assuming either - the Big Bus Tour has 3 different routes and if you buy a ticket it is valid for 24 hours. Doing all 3 tours in one day will take you past all of the main sights of London and you can pick and choose where you get off. Being a hop on/hop off tour you can pick up the next bus to continue your tour if you decide to stop at any point of interest to look around. Great if you only have a short amount of time - and if you have longer will orientate you and you can go back and tour in depth at a later stage. We picked up the tour at Trafalgar Square and it was really good value for money. The commentary was really informative and the open air double deckers were great for filming or taking photos on the move.
It also offered a free cruise on the Thames and offered fast entry tickets to many sights (the Tower of London for one).
Gosh I sound like an ad.
As for your must dos....
The Tower of London IMO is fantastic and a great history lesson.
St. Pauls is another must do.
Buckingham Palace
Tower Bridge
etc, etc.
Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park
If you have time and can get out of town catch the very fast train from Paddington to Windsor and tour Windsor Castle and Eton. And don't miss Queen Mary's Dolls House while you are there.
Dec 26th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Hi Bijou. My wife and I just got back from London and we had very disappointing experiences on the Big Bus tour and the Original Tour. The buses were not heated on very cold days and they were so noisy that you couldn't hear the audio narratives. Once you get your itinerary down, I would recommend travel by the tube. It is far less expensive and gives you more flexibility than the tours.
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Hi, 3 days will do you just fine for a first time. I was there with friend in Oct. (for the second time) so here are my suggestions. Use the tube, once you figure it out, it will get you everywhere faster and cheaper, and if I could do it, anyone can! See the Tower of London 1 morning. In the afternoon you can see Westminster abbey and walk around that neighborhood and see Big Ben and Parliament and Tony Blairs home. Next day, in the morning see Trafalgar Square and visit the National gallery. In the afternoon, find Charring Cross Road and follow it North, (with a map) and go to the British Musuem. Spend your last day shopping. Hit Harrods, Liberty, fortrum & Mason and any other stores you've heard about. In the afternoon go to Buckingham Palace and visit the parks around it, or go to St. Pauls Cathedral or London Bridge or whatever else you've heard of and have to see. Just realize you can't see everything, but this is a good start and the pace won't kill you. It will also give you plenty of walking around time which IMHO is the best part of visiting any European city. Every evening go to the theatre. You can eat in Covent Square or Soho. Anywhere in the west end is where you should spend your evenings.