Advice please!!!!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Natalie

Advice please!!!!

Hello,

I'm planning my first trip to Europe with my boyfriend. He has been everywhere in Europe, but I have not.

Can anyone give me some tips on where I should go? We may go to two countries in 10 days. Would you recommend France, Switzerland or Italy? And what cities can you recommend as well.

Many thanks for your help,
Natalie

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:42 AM
stan

Italy would be my first choice.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Natalie

and where would you go in Italy for 10 days?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Dilermando

Your trip is a short one, so why not save time concentring it around a small geographic region. You will be very satisfied if choose France, and Paris as your base. The region centered around Paris (let's say around a radius of approx. 100 km) offers plenty of places worth visiting: Chenonceau and Chambord castles along the Loire river, Saint Michel Abbay in Normandy etc. Some of these places can be visited in a day-trip. Please refer to Eyewitness Travel Guide France. As for a hotel in Paris, it is recommended to make reservations, specially if you travel in July-August. My experience says May is the best time to be there: less crowded, less expensive, balmy temperatures, the spring is already in full progress. But remember the upper half of France is always subjected to some rain an clouds, even in late spring and early summer.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Steve

We did a pretty cool trip in your timeframe last year. We did a flight to Frankfurt, Germany, rented a car and drove the Romantic Road (it's layed out in most tour books) to Munich, then on to Salzburg and Vienna by train and flew home out of Vienna. Awesome.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:04 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

NATALIE, With only 10 days you should pick 3 destinations with no more than 4 hours of travel time between each.
That could be Rome, Florence, Venice.
Or, Rome, Tuscany, Amalfi coast. Or, Venice, Florence/Tuscany, the Lakes. Or, Berner Oberland, Luzern, Lugano.
You get the idea. But, let the time of year, car or trains, and your budget be factors. That may decide for you.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:07 AM
x

If your boyfriend has been everywhere in europe,why can't he decide where to take you?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM
William

Natalie: Perhaps if you gave some hints as to what interests you, you would get answers more attuned to your interests. For instance, if you are interested in art and museums, Florence and Paris are ideal. For scenery and hiking, Switzerland is ideal. For romance and ambience, Venice is great.

For ten days, I would pick two bases, and use one of your days to take a scenic train ride between them, then fly back from the second base.