What to do with 7 days in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help - overwhelmed with possible itinerary options for a very short trip to France. We are two young women flying into CDG on May 17 and flying out on May 24. With only 7 days, what do we plan? We'd like to see Paris but only for a few days. We'd like to see the countryside, Nice, and perhaps get over to the Cinque Terra in Italy. <BR>Any suggestions from well-traveled Fodorites?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:34 PM

What are your interests? Do you have to fly in &amp; out of Paris? How do you want to travel between places (plane, train, car)?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:43 PM

If you have only 3 - 4 days I believe that you should take into consideration the total amount of miles and time you want to spend moving from place to place and how much time you want to spend doing other things ( sightseeing, eating , sleeping etc.). With that in mind I don't think going to Italy and back is a good idea. The Loire valley could easily take up all the time you have allotted. The south of France is another single destination that makes sense. You could take the TGV ( 3 hours each way) from Paris.<BR>Of course you certainly can fly from Paris to Italy and back but IMHO that doesn't make much sense this trip. Go back again to Italy. Have fun.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Bootman4U

I agree with Doug...and these questions are always very hard to answer when the traveler's particular tastes are unknown. I am ASSUMING you have never been to France and naturally, like everyone else, you want to see a little of everything. But to do it justice I, too, would save Italy for another trip as well as the South of France. Paris, alone, is defintely worth &quot;a few&quot; if not more days and even with the fast TGV services available,France is pretty big and there are plenty of things/places to go closer to Paris, than say, Nice.<BR>I know it is heartbreakingly difficult but I'd stick to Paris and the somewhat nearby environs and do that THOROUGHLY before venturing further afield.

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:52 PM
rex

Although I have never been to Cinque Terre, I am quite familiar with the trip from Nice to get there - - enough to say that I recommend you scratch it off your list. With only seven days, and (apparently) the need to get back to Paris, there are much better ways to spend your time than the 5-6 hour round trip from Nice. It wouldn't necessarily be the first recommendation (depending on who you ask) for a &quot;taste of Italy&quot;, if you feel like you have to have that (fly Ryanair from Paris to Bergamo/lake Garda or Como and back for two days would be a better idea in my opinion).<BR><BR>As a corollary, I wouldn't suggest you leave a 200 mile radius of Paris - - so much to see in the countryside, or seaside, of Normandy, the Loire/Atlantique or Bourgogne (well, no seaside) - - that it seems quite unreasoned to travel as far away as Nice.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:11 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Why not see 2 very different parts of France.<BR>Paris &amp; Provence or Languedoc.<BR>This makes sense if you use the TGV or fly to the south to minimise travelling time.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:34 PM

If you have never been to Germany, I would consider Alsace as it is a great mix of German and French Culture. More Bang for your Buck. <BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

ok - I feel a sense of direction forming here. Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions thus far. It's probably best to focus in just one or two areas with the amount of time we have available. <BR>I will scratch the Cinque Terra off the list. But like Rick Steves says, &quot;Assume you will return&quot;. <BR>Although my friend and I are energetic, I like the thought of having a 'home base' city that is consistent for at least 2 nights. This seems to minimize the exhaustion of constant movement. Although I'd like to see Paris highlights, I'm drawn to beautiful countryside, walking and hiking, picnics (I'm feeling like Julie Andrews here) B&amp;B's instead of large hotels, perhaps renting a car. <BR><BR>Should I concentrate around Paris for several days and then Provence for several more? We are scheduled to fly in and out of CDG and therefore will be required to make our way back to Paris.<BR><BR>Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:20 AM

With only 7 days, I would stay in Paris and take 2-3 day trips. Save Southern France and Italy for trips in themselves.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:21 AM

I agree with all of the posters above. If you have never been to Paris, you will be sorry if you do not give it at least 3 days. There are so many beautiful areas nearby - why not try the Loire Valley where you could experience all of the things you mention, small towns, beautiful scenery, hiking, picnics, etc. And if you want another change of scene, circle north to Giverney and you will be on your way back to CDG. Whatever you decide, enjoy! And let us know!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

I love this board! This reminds me of the 3 wk trip to Greece I planned 2 years ago using only Fodorites suggestions. We had an awesome time and a successful trip in every way with the great suggestions I received.<BR><BR>Another question - should we purchase our Rail passes before we leave or once we get there? <BR>thanks
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:38 AM
ira

Hi Amy,<BR><BR> I infer from your note that this is your first trip to Paris. If so, I suggest that you follow Budman's advice.<BR><BR> See the Fodor's miniguide to Paris for things to do. Day trips to Versaille and other places will get you out of the city should you wish to do so.<BR><BR> It is unlikely that you will need a railpass.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:39 AM
ira

Hi again,<BR><BR> Forgot to mention, train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.sncf.com/indexe.htm
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:52 AM
ira

topping for amy
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:09 AM

If you are now planning to mainly stay in the Paris area, even including the Loire, you don't need a railpass. I don't think there's any way it could be cost effective.<BR><BR>If you take long TGV trips to/from Provence, it probably would be--the France railpass, of course. I don't even know if you can buy it in France, but even if you can, I don't see the advantage. Buy it before you go, just don't choose an agent that marks it up (although I've never run into one that marks up railpasses).
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Does it seem reasonable to spend 3-4 days in Paris and then take the TGV train down to Provence for 3-4 days and then TGV back to CDG on the day of our departure? <BR>During the 3-4 days we spend in Paris we can stay in the same hotel and take some day trips?<BR><BR>thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:57 AM

AnyChow, after an all-night flight, gathering your luggage, and transport to the hotel, you will be jet lagged and tired - maybe only you could take in a site or two.<BR><BR>Most flights departing for the States, if that is where you are heading, leave in the AM. <BR><BR>Train ride to Provence will be one down down, and one day back (night before flight).<BR><BR>Is this the kind of itinerary you are looking for??<BR><BR>Day 1 - Jetlag (Day/Night in Paris)<BR>Day 2 - Paris<BR>Day 3 - Paris<BR>Day 4 - Train to Provence (Evening in Provence<BR>Day 5 - Provence<BR>Day 6 - Provence<BR>Day 7 - Train to Paris (Evening in Paris)<BR>Day 8 - Depart for States<BR><BR>Since you asked, I would spend my time in Paris, take a day trip to Versailles, and take in the ambiance of Paris.<BR><BR>Whatever you decide, and since you are young, maybe you should just &quot;wing it.&quot; Whatever you chose, you will enjoy.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:19 AM

Amy - I like the Paris to Provence idea very much. I think you will enjoy the interesting contrasts, even though you have only a few days in each area. I would take the TGV to Avignon, where there are numerous charming hotels, explore Avignon for a day, and then pick up a rental car there to explore several villages and the beautiful countryside, then TGV back to Paris. You'll be within easy driving distance to Gordes, L'Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue, Roussillon, St Remy...many wonderful and charming town.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:25 AM

Hi Amy. Sure it's reasonable to divide your limited time between Paris and Provence if that's what *you* want to do. With only seven days, others may not choose to do this, but it may be exactly what you want, to see two very different parts of France, even if only briefly.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:30 PM

Hi<BR><BR>just a couple of points .........<BR><BR>Paris to provence is 2.5 hrs by train / 1 hr by plane.<BR><BR>It can take longer than that to get from CDG to Orly.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -