2 weeks in France

Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

2 weeks in France

Can anyone offer suggestions for our first trip to France the first 2 weeks in September.

We will pick up a car in Munich and drive directly to France. At the end of the trip, we will drop the car off in Paris for shipping to the US.

My husband is a history buff and wants to visit the beach at Normandy. He is interested in the south of France. I have no special preference, but don't want to spend the whole trip driving.

Any itinerary suggestions will be appreciated.

Sue
Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

We just spent a week in Paris, 4 days in Provence, 4 days in Riviera. Had no car in Paris. Took the TGV train to Avignon (400 miles in 2 hrs. 40 minutes). Then picked up a car. There are many areas to see in France, with or without a car. Need more information from you to help.
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM

My first suggestion is to pick up a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to France and begin looking at suggested itineraries and sightseeing recommendations. With two weeks you can see a lot, but you will need to limit yourself to perhaps 3 areas in addition to Paris. Since your husband wants to visit the Normandy landing beaches, three or four days in that lovely region would work well. Then you could head south to Provence for a few days.

You might look into going by train, with your car going piggy-back with you.
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

Hi, sgiord, I know I may regret asking tihs, but why are you flying into Munich when you want to go to France? Ignoring jet -lag [you don't say where you are flying from, but I'm guessing the US] it will take an entire day to drive from Munich to the nearest part of France, incidentally passing thorugh or near some very pretty and interesting places which are worth a trip in themselves. You will end up roughly equi-distant between the south of france and Normandy - both of which are about as far away from each other in France as it is possible to be.
If your flight into Munich is fixed, and you don't fancy exploring southern Germany at all, may I suggest that once you reach France, you drive south, and head for Provence, ending up at one of the points where you can pick up the train that takes cars [sorry, having a senior moment and can't remember what it's called] and take it back to Paris. That should provide your husband with more than enough history, without too much driving.
Alternatively, head north west, drive through the Loire area, [loads of Chateaux etc.,] ending up in Normandy, then back to Paris.
What I don't think you'll be able to do is to start in Munich and see both the south of France, and Normandy, unless you want to spend all your time in the car. Good luck!
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM

If your husband in interested in history. There is definately a wealth of medieval history to see in France. There is a great book called Romanesque Churches of the Pilgrimage Roads that lists small and large churches to be found throughout France. It also includes great info like maps, etc. Have a great trip!
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Re: Why Munich?

It may sound a bit odd to travel to France via Munich, but we are buying a BMW and it must be picked up in Munich -- no option there. However, it can be shipped back to the US from various other sites -- thus the reason for ending our trip in Paris.

Since we have already seen most of Germany, and the southern part more than once, we want to go someplace we have never visited -- France.

Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
MKE

Having just read a thread on this board on the difficulty of using a US credit card at unmanned gas stations on Sundays in France, you might want to make sure that you fill up on days other than Sunday if you plan to use a credit card. I don't know what the situation is in Germany. I'll be renting a car in Frankfurt in early October there and would be curious if you or anyone else has any information on this.
Jul 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Hi Sue, why not try Burgundy? Lovely countryside in September, vineyards, good food and great wines, castles, abbeys, architecture, churches and history in Dijon. Would be a pity to pass by and not see it.

Happy travels!
coco
Jul 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM
ira

Hi SG,

I suggest driving from Munich to Dijon. You can overnight on Lake Constance on your way.

If you want to see any parts of Austria or Switzerland, you will have to buy a "vignette" (Road tax sticker) for each country.

Stay 3-4 days in Burgundy before heading toward Normandy.

Auxerre is a pleasant town to visit for a day.

Have a nice visit.

Jul 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

We've been to Austria a couple of time, but have only driven through Switzerland.

Would it be feasible to do justice to Normandy, Burgundy, Provence and Paris is 2 weeks? Or do you think that would be too much. I think we should spend about 4 days in Paris (I know we won't be able to see everything). Does that sound right?

Thanks for all the help.
Jul 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM

You have 2 weeks and you will need to pick up and drop off the car on a week day (you have 14 days of insurance through BMW for free.) If you could pick up the car on Sept 1 you could keep it until Sept. 14. YOu could drop it off in either Nice or Paris. How many nights do you have total?
Jul 5th, 2006, 08:48 AM
ira

Hi SG,

>Would it be feasible to do justice to Normandy, Burgundy, Provence and Paris is 2 weeks? <

Your doing 4 days in Paris, so that's only 10 days for the rest.

In short, No.

Jul 5th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

re: cparris's and ira's messages:

Re: Total number of nights. We are still debating that. We will have to spend 1 night in Munich (Thursday) and are picking the car up on Friday 9/1. We don't have to stick rigidly to a 14 day (13 night) schedule in France and could possibly extend our stay a couple of extra days (the weekend?), which could mean 14 or 15 nights (dare I hope 16?). We won't be sure until we make our flight arrangements.

Re: In short, no.
We always overly ambitious and try to squeeze too much into each trip, and we always regret it. I guess we are doing that again. Which sounds most reasonable? Burgundy - Normandy - Paris, or Provence - Normandy - Paris (will this be too much driving?), or some other region - ???? - Normandy - Paris?

I will stop on my way home from work and pick up a Michlin Green Guide and see if I can get an Atlas for France.

Does anyone know if the Atlas come in a soft back copy? Amazon.com only had a hardback.

Thanks so much to all of you,
Sue
Jul 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM

"I have no special preference, but don't want to spend the whole trip driving." I think the itinerary with Provence would be a bit too much driving then.
I'm with Ira
coco

Jul 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

From Bayeux (Normandy) to Dijon (Burgundy) took us a good 4 hours. Provence would be another 4+ depending on where you would be going. So I really think your best bet would be Normandy and Burgundy--but have you considered Brittany? It's a very interesting region.
Jul 11th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Have you thought of stopping for a few nights in Alsace and then maybe to Verdum to see the WWI sites. Then you could also see the Champagne area and head to Normandy finishing up in Paris.