Advice on first/business class options from Rome to SFO

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Italy and trying to figure out best return option (flying BA First outbound from SFO to LHR to FCO). My debate on the return is whether to try and avoid the Heathrow connection on the way home as you have to leave Rome so early (and we may be in Cortona our last night) but most of the planes from Rome aren't the greatest. My options are as follows (Delta is the one I know the least about):

Option 1 - FCO to LHR to SFO on BA in First (most comfortable but have the early Rome departure issue to make connection).

Option 2 - FCO to ORD to SFO on AA in business - they fly a two class plane out of Rome and I'm not a huge fan of American's existing business class seats and I think they SE going to be rolling out their new seats a a snails pace given bankruptcy (and Rome route won't be high on refresh schedule).

Option 3 - FCO to JFK or ATL and then SFO on Delta - I just flew Delta to South Africa in business elite and the pod on the 777-LR was very nice. It appears the Delta flights from Rome are 767 or A-300 which have the older version of business elite. I'm worried this product may be tired and not very comfortable.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM

flyeralk.com is the best place to get a detailed discussion from people who are well acquainted with a variety of airlines. You may however find it difficult to find people who have flown on such a variety of carriers as so many of us are loyal to one.

That said, I have a preference for the first option. Yes Heathrow is a pill and Terminal five seems to be the only place my bags are delayed, but when we fly home (to SFO) I prefer not to take a flight via a domestic terminal in the US. The fact is there is no comparison between domestic first ORD-SFO or ATL-SFO and BA transatlantic first or even BA business, where I particularly like the twin pods in the middle.

However, I think this is less about the airlines than your itinerary. I would take BA, we recently flew first back from the UK to SFO and it was excellent, however this seems to require staying closer to the airport than you have planned. How long is the BA connection in London and how does it compare with the overall travel time of the two other options?
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks welltraveledbrit. We're trying to end in Rome so it won't be a problem to catch the LHR to SFO connection on BA but we may opt for a US flight directly out of Rome if we end up being on the Amalfi Coast or Cortona the night before departure. I have a few trip scenarios planned (ideally Cortona first then Amalfi Coast and end in Rome) and it's just going to depend what days we can get upgrades on what order we do them. I'm actually a big fan of T5 and since we always pack light and just have a carry on the baggage hasn't been an issue.

Based on reviews I think we'll definitely not do the Delta flight (I think their only good business seats are on the Africa or Asia routes) and will likely do BA if we can make the connection or AA from FCO if we won't be able to comfortably make the connection. Hate paying the Heathrow fees but I do care about the comfort of the flight. Didn't compare the actual hours as it always seems to be a rounding error so I just go for the most enjoyable flight.

Appreciate the thoughts.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:41 PM

Consider flying KLM through Amsterdam. We really like KLM and Schiphol Airport is so much better than Heathrow! (Although the bus class seats are not as good -- still have a tiny bit of slope on them. )
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I'd take option 1. Get the transfer over in Europe. LHR to SFO first class is a dream.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 02:18 AM

Rather than Cortona your last night why not consider La Posta Vecchia at Ladispoli (once the property of Getty). This is close enough to Fiumicino airport and being on the "right" side avoids any problems with traffic early in the morning on the GRA (Rome ring road).
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Yes, in Italy I really wouldn't plan a long drive or a long ride on the train to get to the airport the day of your flight. Too many things can go wrong, as so often occurs in Italy. And once they do, it takes a long time to correct. Others think we've just been unlucky there, but we've experienced a litany of train strikes, breakdowns, traffic jams caused by accidents, etc.

I wouldn't waste a night at an airport hotel unless you have a VERY early flight, but you can spend the night in Rome and have a selection of transportation options to the airport.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM

I've flown the Rome-ATL-SFO route as well as the Rome or Venice-JFK-SFO route on Delta Business and my flights have always entailed reclining seats vs. flatbed, a different experience entirely than Business or FC on Lufthansa or even United. I'm flying SFO-LHR and back on BA Business next month and it looks very good.

I find the flight back to SF far less critical, though, than the flight over in terms of flat bed--never really can sleep coming back, so for me the connection issues would be more a consideration. FC from ATL or JFK also much less space than Business as someone mentioned.

Delta lounges in ATL are ok but nothing to write home about, at least the ones we've used.

I like the above strategy of getting the transfer over with in Europe/LHR and getting a nice direct flight back to the west coast, or otherwise going for schedule.