BA biz class lounges at LHR Terminal 5

Jan 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

BA biz class lounges at LHR Terminal 5

I have two questions about BA business class lounges at Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

First, does the Galeries Departure lounge have showers? When I was in T5 2 years ago, I didn't find them.

Second, where is the Galeries Arrivals lounge?

We'll be traveling from Chicago to London to Johannesburg in February. We're in coach on the Chicago-London legs, but in business class on the Jo'burg-London legs. I don't want to miss the entrance to the Galeries Lounge after our long flight from Johannesburg.

If anyone can help me with these questions, I'll appreciate it.

Celia
Jan 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM

The T5 (departure) Galleries have access to showers and to the Elemis Spa, so you can get more than a bath if you want.

The Arrivals lounge is outside security, on the mezzanine level more or less directly over the main arrivals doors (i.e. where you exit into the world from customs.)

However as a coach passenger I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed into the Arrivals lounge, unless you also happen to be a BAEC Gold (OW Emerald) frequent flyer. But perhaps worth a try if you flash the business class ticket for your connecting flight; all they can say is no. Note however that the Arrivals lounge closes at 2 PM.

If I were you I'd stay airside (instead of having to enter the UK to use the Arrivals lounge) and just head directly for the Galleries lounge, have a shower, some breakfast, book a session in the spa, kick back. Either that or think about a day room at a hotel. I think I saw where the Hilton (connected to T4) has decent day rates; unlike other LHR hotels the Hilton has a free shuttle bus from T5, so no messing around with the despicable Hoppa required.
Jan 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo.

I'm not sure I understand you completely. We're coach passengers on AA from Chicago to London. When we arrive in London, we plan to go directly to T5 and show our business class BA tickets to Jo'burg, which will let us into the Galeries Departure lounge. We have 5 or 6 hours to spend there. Then we fly to Jo'burg.

It's the return flight I'm thinking of. We'd love it if we could arrive in London and hang around in Galeries luxury for the 6 hours or so before we board our AA flight in coach to go on to Chicago. When we deplane from Jo'burg, we'll be arriving as business class passengers, so I'd think we'd still be eligible to use the Galeries arrivals lounge. But if there's a way to stay airside and get to the Galeries departure lounge, that would be super too.
Jan 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Okay, my misunderstanding. In that case, yes, you'd have access to the BA arrivals lounge at T5. You'll need to go landside to access it, albeit your luggage might be through-checked to ORD on the return.
Jan 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM

If you're arriving in Club on BA, you can use the BA arrivals lounge. As Gardyloo said, it's landside - you will need to exit thru Immigration to access it.

If you stay airside, you will transfer through Flight Connections, from T5 to your departure terminal which is most likely T3. I don't think you will be allowed to use the BA departure lounge there because you're not flying BA Club or AA Business to Chicago.
Jan 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks to you both!

Celia
Jan 10th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Here is the lounge picture applying to your trip:

ORD AA LHR, economy: No lounge access unless you have AA Platinum/Oneworld Sapphire or higher FF status, in which case AA Admiral's Club at ORD (Plat) or Flagship Lounge (Executive Plat/Emerald.)

LHR BA JNB, business: BA Galleries at LHR unless you have AA Executive Plat/Oneworld Emerald status in which case you can also use the Galleries First lounge at LHR. There is no arrivals lounge at JNB.

JNB BA LHR, business: BA Galleries at JNB (newly remodeled, apparently quite nice) and BA Arrivals at LHR, landside T5.

LHR AA ORD, economy: No lounge access (unless as above, Plat/Sapphire or higher.) AA departs from T3, so allow 90 min at least to get to T3 and through security/check-in.
Jan 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I know which lounges we have access to. We have no special status with either AA or BA, so our access is based solely on class of ticket, and is as you state, Gardyloo.

My only questions were where is the entrance to the Galeries arrivals lounge when arriving from Joeys to London, and where are the showers in the Galeries departure lounge.