Reload this Page >

Advice for Costa Brava towns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 10:48 AM
Amalia

Will be spending a few days in Barcelona, but thought to head up the coast for some beaches and sunning. Does anyone have an opinion on the best town to stay in, and any hotel leads?

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:39 AM
Nick

There are quite a few nice (and relatively unpopulated) beaches along the way. There a also quite a few very nice hotel. See http://www.innsofspain.com/hotels.asp<BR><BR>Nick.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:44 AM
Julie

We stayed in Rosas/Roses (I've seen it spelled both ways) at the Almadraba Park Hotel. Town not terrific--though it would probably be more fun in a busier time, we stayed there Oct. 7 or so when season pretty much over--but hotel very nice. Member of Relais du Silence chain/association. Built in levels with green grass and an olympic sized pool, recently redocrated in a modern/stripped down style. Quite tasteful. Beatiful views of the Mediterranean and approx. $100 per day. <BR><BR>Lots of Salvador Dali associations in surrounding area--Figueres where his very amusing museum is, Cadaques where he was born and where the house he built his wife is nearby. Latter is particularly beautiful fishing village, but reached only by difficult road through mountainous area with hairpin turns, etc.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:56 AM
Chris

We just got back from 3 weks in France. We did spend three nights on the Costa Brava during that time. We stayed in a small town called Tamariu. Its between Llafranc and Begur. Small and beautiful with some great walks and nice cove and beach. I highly recommend the Hotel Tamariu. Family owned and run and an incredible restaurant. Web site, www.tamariu.com If you prefer a somewhat bigger town, then I would recommend Llafranc. As you go south the towns are high rises on the beach for the most part. Have Fun.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:14 PM
Maribel

Amalia,<BR>While Roses, Cadaques and Tossa have many fans here, I tend to avoid these during high season and search out the smaller, less built up, more intimate seaside towns with cove-like beaches in the Pals-Begur area of the Baix Emporda. <BR>This is quite upscale yet low key and relatively unspoilt by Costa Brava standards. 3 towns to consider:<BR>Calella de Palafruguell, Llafranc and beautiful Aiguablava. Llafranc is the "liveliest" of the 3.<BR><BR>Inexp to mod hotels in high season:<BR>Hotel Llevant@Llafranc<BR>Hotel Garbi@Calella <BR><BR>Moderately expensive:<BR>Hotel Aiguablava@Aiguablava<BR><BR>Parador@Aiguablava (always full!)<BR><BR>Arc de Monells@Monells (inland)<BR><BR>El Far de Sant Sebastia@Llafranc<BR><BR>La Costa@Pals <BR>(full scale resort, like the Almadraba Park in Roses)<BR><BR>Luxury:<BR>Mas de Torrent@Torrent (inland)<BR><BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:51 PM
Alec

Places already suggested are fine but you do need a car to get there and get about once there. Nearer to Barcelona and reacheable by frequent bus (1.5 hours) from Estacion del Norte is Tossa de Mar. It gets packed in July-August, but the resort copes with crowds well. It has some lovely beaches (coarse sand), and narrow alleyways leading up into old town and the ruined castle. There are some charming hotels in town, some quite cheap, others more upmarket but still good value. Two hotels next to each other on a small cove belong to Best Western chain and are highly recommended: the cheaper and simpler Mar Menuda and more upmarket Reymar.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Speaking of this hotel, I'm unable to make reservations online for the Grand Hotel Reymar in Tossa--it rejects my email address which is normal ([email protected]). Two emails to the hotel asking for help have not been answered.

Any idea what may be the problem?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We intend to spend three days in the area in early September before travelling north to Val de Nuria and on to Toulouse. My wife is trying to find the small restaurant in a cove she went to 25-30 years ago. She remembers that they went by speed boat from Lloret de Mar about 15 minutes to a cove where they waded - handbags in the air - into a rocky cove. The restaurant was in and outside a small timber building with a great view and serving good seafood and seafood paella in particular.

If anyone knows where it is please let us know ?