Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay & What to Do in the province of Girona

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to spend 2 nights in the province of Girona and I'm trying to decide what town(s) would be the most convenient locations for exploring the surrounding area by car. Does anyone have advice? It would be great to be near the beach and restaurants as opposed to a more remote location.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM

The Costa Brava has very nice places to visit, including Cadaques and the Greek
ruins in Empuries, there are lovely little places inland like St Joan la Abadesse,Besalu and
Girona. btw we shall be going shortly and I also would like to hear any suggestions.
We shall spend 4 to 5 days in the area.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

I'm certainly not done with my research, but this is what I have so far. thank you for the suggestion!

Towns and Cities: http://www.spain-holiday.com/Costa-Brava

Roses is an essentially Mediterranean town with a notable tourist and seafaring tradition. The town itself dates back to the 8th century BC. It is located in a unique natural environment in the northern area of the Costa Brava, it is less than 30 km from the French border, 65 km from Girona and 160 km from Barcelona. Beautiful beach.

Once a small fishing town, the seaside resort of Blanes still retains some of its original charm; the resort boasts a four-kilometre stretch of coastline with wide sandy bays and small rocky coves, most of which are well served with water sports and other tourist facilities.

Tossa de Mar is a pretty town with cobbled streets, constructed around a magnificent ancient castle, located in the Spanish region of Catalonia on the Costa Brava. The beautiful mountainous hinterland with lush green valleys, gorges and natural springs creates a stunning backdrop. There is also a bustling beach life in this attractive resort, which appeals to couples and families alike.

Lloret de Mar is situated in the southern part of the Costa Brava, 70 kilometres to the north east of Barcelona. This is one of the Mediterraneans most popular resorts and certainly the liveliest holiday spot on this stretch of the Spanish coastline. The former fisherman’s village covers 48 square kilometres, and has five main beaches along a 7 kilometre of coastline. One of Spain’s most popular tourist resorts, but it still preserves places of great interest like the Puig Castellet Iberian settlement, the romantic Santa Clotilde gardens, the castle, a number of houses owned originally by the Indianos (as the locals who went to try out their fortunes in the Americas were known), or the Sant Quirze hermitage, which dates back to the 11th century. The two towns boast some of the Costa Brava’s best coves.

The medieval town of Pals is located on the Costa Brava, to the east of the city of Girona. 
Situated on top of a hill, overlooking Platja de Pals, this charming town with its cobbled streets, craft shops, traditional restaurants and bars is a great place to visit in Catalonia.

South east of Girona, roughly midway between Lloret de Mar and Begur, is the fabulous beach-side resort of S'Agaro. Elegant S'Agaró sits alongside cosmopolitan Platja d'Aro, where a recognised circular route skirts the peaceful streets of the old town. Castell d'Aro is the historical centre, and has preserved all its medieval charm. 

Calella de Palafrugell is an attractive resort, well known for its various rocky coves, sandy beaches and excellent fish restaurants. The area is becoming better known thanks to the annual International Jazz Festival held in the extensive botanical gardens of Cap Roig, just to the south.

The wonderful village of Cadaques, is home to the Cap de Creus Nature Reserve which forms a series of beautiful tiny unspoilt coves.

The Salvador Dali Triangle in Figueres: http://en.costabrava.org/suggestions...gBJAEQAXAA4AFw

Old Town Centre of Girona - http://www.girona-tourist-guide.com/
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM

Girona would make an excellent base. You could easily drive to Besalu, La Bisbal (ceramics), Pal (medieval town), Olot (volcanic area). The coastal road between Tossa de Mar and Lloret is stunning, the old part of Tossa is nice but I would avoid Lloret de Mar which is a zoo in season. L'Estartit and La Escala are interesting (IMP more than Rosas). Near Rosas don't miss San Pere de Rodes, a cistercian abbey overlooking the ocean. Near Figueres, Castello de Empuries is a charming village. Vilabertran has another abbey.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 01:32 AM

You've certainly done some considerable research, but as you have only two nights, probably one full day, then you don't have time to do much at all. Base at Tossa de Mar and you'll find the beach you want, but you can't do it all in one go.

Do the rest of it next time, when you have more time.