Activities in London

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activities in London

Will be in London October 7-12, 2003. Are there any activities scheduled besides the Lord Mayors parade? Parliament, Royalty ect. Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM

The site http://VictorianResearch.org has a list of free public lectures, and I attach those for your days. Other readers may like to look up the list for their dates in London, now and again just before they go, as the list grows weekly. These lectures rest your feet nicely, and exercise your mind instead.

Welcome to London

[email protected]

Tuesday 7 October. 5pm. How to Do Global History. Ecclesiastical History Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

Wednesday 8 October. 1pm. Why is there evil? Gresham College, Barnards Inn, 23-23 Holborn, Chancery Lane tube

Wednesday 8 October. 5pm. Literary approaches to medieval maps. Room 349, Institute of English Studies, Third Floor, Senate House, Russell Square tube

Wednesday 8 October. 5.30 tea. 6pm.From Laboratory Tests to Design in Sands. Institution of Civil Engineers, Westminster tube

Wednesday 8 October. About 6pm. Fuel Cells for Stationary Applications. Institute of Electrical Engineers, Savoy Place, Temple tube

Wednesday 8 October. 6pm. Economics: Generating Change. Register 020 7451 6868 or <[email protected]>. Royal Society of Arts, Charing Cross tube

Wednesday, 8 October. 6pm. The Bronze Age wooden tomb furniture from Jericho: The microscopic reconstruction of a distinctive carpentry tradition. Stevenson Lecture Theatre, Clore Education Centre, The British Museum, Holborn tube

Thursday 9 October. Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO). Conference. Register Tel: 020 7665 2313. Institution of Civil Engineers, Westminster tube

Thursday 9 October. 1pm. Music and nationhood. Gresham College, Barnards Inn, 23-23 Holborn, Chancery Lane tube

Thursday 9 October. 1.10. Black Victorians: recent research. National Portrait Gallery, Leicester Square tube

Thursday 9 October. 5.15. Polling and Public Opinion in the 1656 Election in Warwickshire. Ecclesiastical History Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

Thursday 9 October. 5.30. English eccentricities: the debate over the postwar school curriculum revisited (followed by a reception at 59 Gordon Square). International Relations Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

Thursday 9 October. 5.30. The tomb as proof in medieval England. Low Countries Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

Thursday 9 October. 5.30 tea. 6pm. Network Rail. Institution of Civil Engineers, Westminster tube

Thursday 9 October. About 6pm. From Laboratory to Market. Institute of Electrical Engineers, Savoy Place, Temple tube

Thursday 9 October. 6pm. Prevention of blindness worldwide: Partnership and Public Awareness. Register 020 7451 6868 or <[email protected]>. Royal Society of Arts, Charing Cross tube

Thursday 9 October. 6pm. Unplugging computers. Computers for fun and interest. Gresham College, Barnards Inn, 23-23 Holborn, Chancery Lane tube

Thursday 9 October. 6.30. The bionic man. Wound healing and human regeneration. The Royal Society, Piccadilly Circus tube

Thursday 9 October. 6.30. Bel Canto music. Recital Hall, Royal Academy of Music, Baker Street tube

Thursday 9 October. 7pm. Poetry reading on National Poetry Day with award-winning Guyana-born Grace Nichols. National Portrait Gallery, Leicester Square tube

Friday and Saturday 10 and 11 October. Friday 1.30, Saturday 9.30. The Place of Value in a World of Facts: Philosophy of Natural and Social Science. Old Theatre, Old Building, London School of Economics, Holborn tube

Friday and Saturday 10 and 11 October. 7pm. The cultural heritage of Palestine. Al-Furqan Foundation, Eagle House, High Street, Wimbledon. Wimbledon tube

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:40 AM

Dear Mr Haines, As always, many thanks for sharing the list of public lectures. But, I am afraid having difficutly in finding the new list on new Victorian site. Could you please post where it is located currently? I am looking for the list for the first two weeks of December.

Many thanks again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:03 AM
ron

I had the same problem, Judy. But did find it, http://victorianresearch.org/lectures.html
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM

Ron,Many thanks for the reply.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:40 PM

Judy and Ron: Many thanks for sorting this out. I now have a record of the full net address.

As you know, the list is very incomplete indeed for dates from 1 October and the start of university term. For December, for example, it will be good to search about 7 October.

I am glad to have readers. A result of showing the lecture list online is that I do not know whether it is useful to readers. (Though I do not care too much: it is useful to me).

Welcome back to London.

Ben Haines
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:36 PM
ron

Its a great resource, Ben. You have tempted me to sign up for the "Friday 31 October at 1.30 to Saturday 1 November at 5.20. Guilds: London... England... Europe" at the University of London. Maybe I'll do the Friday afternoon if its a rainy...
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:14 PM

To Keena: London Mayors show is scheduled at 8 November 2003. Other event:Clarence House Opening is till 17 October. Or check:Visitbritain.com,the event section.

Mr Haines,The list is one of the most tempting attractions in London.

Luckly, for us poor non-Londoners,some institutions offer webcasts live.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:10 PM

The Affordable Art Fair

www.affordableartfair.co.uk

9-12 October...Battersea Park
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:11 PM

Thank you so much for this list, Ben. I knew such a thing had to exist.