Acommodation UK

Oct 21st, 2013, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Acommodation UK

Hi

Please assist

I plan on travelling to the UK for about 6 nights to visit London.

I am looking for accommodation just ouside of London central with a "country environment". My budget is more or less 100 to 120 GBP per night. Is that too little?

Also what will travelling in and out of Central London cost me everyday? Is it better to stay in Central London and save on travelling money?

Thanks
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:12 AM

The cost of travelling in and out of London can mount up and make staying outside of the city very expensive. There are those on here who can help with areas to stay. However, here are a few websites to use to compare hotel prices by area, standard and location:

www.lastminute.com
www.londontown.com
www.laterooms.com
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:16 AM

As for costs you can check out this ticket price map on www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

In general staying outside Central London and commuting in is a false economy due to the extra time and money spent commuting.

To get something with a country feel you will have to look in the outer zones which increase your cost substantially.

If your goal is to see central london then stay in Central London.
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will definitely have a look.

I am looking for a "country look and feel" if that makes sense. Probably not possible in central London, but I'll see what I can find.
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:19 AM

As in the hotel or the area? That is going to be tough to find in the centre of the largest city in Western Europe..,
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Lol Jamikins yip I know.... Maybe totally a stupid idea.

Let's move all of this to Central London then. I will look at the sites posted and see.

Are there any specific areas to avoid when it comes to accommodation? Any high crime high risk areas?

Thanks
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:26 AM

Look for somewhere in the middle of the central line on the tube map and you should be fine. No areas in Central London that you need to be overly concerned with but read the reviews of the hotels you are looking at to be sure as a particular street may be not ideal.
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help!
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:50 AM

Sorry not the central line...the circle line (yellow one) on the tube map!
Oct 21st, 2013, 05:54 AM

If you are interested in a "true" bed and breakfast (1-2 rooms in a person's private residence, not a small hotel which includes breakfast--this is also called a BandB in England), you might look at what is available from At Home in London. http://www.athomeinlondon.co.uk/ This is an agency that handles BandB's in homes. We have used them twice and loved it. We stayed in one that is labeled "Knightsbridge" but was 2 minute walk from the Belgravia area which feels like a toney village in the midst of the huge city (not "country" but a bit separate). There might be something that appeals to you.

Wherever you think about staying, do check exact address compared to how far to a Tube stop.

And I agree that staying in central London, if you aren't too extravagant with room price, is worth the savings in transport and time. Unless you have free accommodations or find something really really cheap that's still near a station that gets you into central London in under an hour, then you are better off spending more for central-ish London rooms.
Oct 21st, 2013, 06:11 AM

To put this argument into context.

I live in just about the closest real village (smells of sheepdung, obsessive about avoiding light pollution, no-one locks doors. De woiks) on a direct railway line to London. Our handful of hotel rooms, self-evidently, cost a great deal more than any central London budget hotel (though, with luck, might just squeeze into your budget) and, while charming, come nowhere near any 4* place for comfort.

They're all within less than a 400 yard walk from the station. But it's £32 a day (or £150 a week, plus £30 for a Z1/2 weekly Travelcard) for any ticket that'll get you into town before 11 am.
Oct 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM

London is a very large, spread out city. The countryside is not a 15 minute train ride from the center - more like at least an hour each way.

I think you need to pick either London (and staying the center) or the countryside (stay there and see locals sights by car or bus).

(This is like saying you want to stay in the suburbs and visit NYC - you will spend 3 hours a day - and a small fortune - going back - and except for rush hours trains will run only every 30 or 40 minutes).
Oct 21st, 2013, 10:25 AM

For the closest to a village feel and still in London I suggest Hampstead. Most places you'll find there to stay are in private homes which I've enjoyed. At Home In London, mentioned above, has one or 2 and there are some in your budget here:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Hampstead--...gdom?source=bb