London Areas

Jul 13th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

London Areas

Have any of you stayed in the Westend/Mayfair or Bloomsbury area? If so how did you like it? Where did you stay? What area is in the heart of London? Thanks.
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:07 PM

W1 is the central area of London where I live. Any postcode ending in 1 is central - EC1, WC1, E1, W1, N1.

Stay in Mayfair you won't regret it. What's your budget so one can advise hotels?
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:08 PM

London is the largest city in Western Europe, therefore there is a lot of "heart" to London.

Mayfair and Bloomsbury are in central London and will be expensive, even for London.
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Hi
I'm wondering if you are already considering some hotels and are wondering about their neighborhoods.
I strongly recommend locating a hotel on a map according to its street location. Sometimes hotel neighborhood locations mentioned in guidebooks, package tours, or hotel websites are flexible about what the real neighborhood is.

IMO the important factors are first, general neighborhood, and second, proximity to a Tube stop.
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:12 AM

We love Mayfair;it is so centrally located that you can walk to many of the sites, theatres, shopping and parks. It can be a more expensive area than some but the time you can save by walking to many things is a consideration. In April we stayed at Thistle Horseguards for 2 nights as part of a NWA package, but when we moved to HI Mayfair for the remaining 8 nights we felt like we were "home".
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I appreciate everyone's suggestions on hotels. My budget $150.00 night USD. Are there hotels in the Mayfair/Westend area in that price range? Any names of hotels? What other areas are less expensive? Thank You.;
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Here we go again. I'll take the hit for this but: are you traveling alone? If not, is the 150 USD per person or per room?

You're going to be hard-pressed to find anything in central London for $150/night, especially with the dollar in the tank. With exchange fees on even the least expensive credit card, $150 is only around 80 GBP.

Think outside the center of the city and your options will increase. The tube is a fine way to get around.
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Most of the Mayfair hotels are quite expensive unless you can find a special rate online. However, one hotel in Mayfair that should be close to your price range is the Holiday Inn-Mayfair. Its quite nice and there is a convenient tube stop located just down the block.
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM

The tube station is Green Park and is across the road in Piccadilly - not a block away.
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:49 PM

YOW! 150$ a night won't get you a closet in Mayfair! I agree, go slightly out of the city center and use the subway.
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM
yk

gluvscats-

Your only chance would be try Priceline in stay in Mayfair. Bloomsbury is a nice area with cheaper hotels & B&Bs. Do a search here on this forum and you will find lots of hotel suggestions.
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:02 PM

We stayed at the Washington Mayfair on Curzon street. Loved the hotel, the area and the Indian restaurant in Shepherds Market across the street. Also the Middle Eastern restaurant there also.
Jul 16th, 2004, 11:00 PM

We booked the Waldorf Hilton on Aldwych for $100/night for last May. Perfect location for sightseeing. Three bus stops right outside the entrance, along with ticket machines. Most destinations on one bus route, no transfer required. Big Bus and Original Tour stops there as well. RV1 stop right around the corner. Walking distance to Covent Garden and much more. We used the tube only once. With the buses, you enjoy all the glorious scenery along the way, especially from front seats on the upper deck.

See www.biddingfortravel.com for everything you need to know about bidding on Priceline.
Jul 17th, 2004, 04:07 AM

The area called the West End includes the area Mayfair, and also, next door and to the east, Trafalgar Square, the Strand, and Convent Garden. Bloomsbury lies north east of Mayfair and north of the Strand. Trafalgar Square, the Strand, Convent Garden and Bloomsbury all have hotels from two star (about 140 dollars for a double with breakfast) to five-star. I think that Mayfair has just two, the Thistle Piccadilly and the Regent Palace Hotel next to Piccadilly Circus, but all the rest are expensive. All the areas are about equally near to most theatres. Bloomsbury is nearer to shops than are other areas. But for access to most tourist destinations Trafalgar Square, the Strand, and Convent Garden have the advantage. You can walk to many, such as Westminster and the National Gallery, take a bus to many more (such as the Tower and Victoria for Buckingham Palace) and take the District and Circle Line tube to others (such as South Kensington). If you drop Convent Garden, where hotels are expensive, you have Trafalgar Square and the Strand.

I think you might use Google to see the web pages, and the prices, for the Thistle Piccadilly, Regent Palace Hotel, and hotels east of there. Over three years I have collected comment on some of these from Fodors forum.

www.londonhotels.ndirect.co.uk/, click on Charing Cross Area
Royal Adelphi Hotel, a simple hotel, well placed.
Single with facilities 68 pounds Double/twin with facilities - - 90 pounds Triple with facilities - - 125 pounds
A drawback is that you take stairs to the first floor, but from there on you have a lift.

http://london.hotelguide.net/data/h100241.htm
Strand Palace Hotel. 2002: 160 to 450
Also at discount 60 any date in August
and 70 Fridays to Sundays all year
on http://www.hotelsengland.com./
Discounts also on http://www.travelnow.com/hotels/
and on http://www.180096HOTEL.com
Many rooms are small, but not all, so it is good to ask the room size before you book. This hotel takes many guests in block bookings for coach tours. A writer in June 2004 reported discourteous service, probably due to the large size of the hotel.

Charing Cross Thistle Hotel. Full rate 190 to 255 GBP, discount 90 for a double in 2002
Thistle Hotel prices. Reports from travellers say that it is worth shopping around for the cost of a room in a Thistle hotel. They suggest you start with two company sites,
http://www.thistlehotels.com/offers/ then ?Regional offers?, then ?London?then "View All Offers". In June 2004 this showed the following offers until 31 Dec 2004, with full English breakfast, per passenger in a double room,
At Thistle Trafalgar and Piccadilly, from 49.50 GBP
At Thistle Charing Cross and Thistle Royal Horseguards, from 62.50GBP
Weekend Special at Thistle Charing Cross, 55GBP
In July 2003 the Thistle website was offering weekend rooms at auction, starting at a pound a night
For the Thistle Victoria: http://www.thistlehotels.com/hotel_d....jhtml?id=4684
For the Thistle Charing Cross
http://www.orbitz.com, then hotels, then London and dates. Shows only Charing Cross

Another traveller called the Thistle company?s 800 number and asked for their best rate. When she was given a rate she asked if there was a better rate and there was

October 2003. Thistle Trafalgar Square. When we got to our hotel around 10:30, we were able to check in right away. I know the advice here is to stay awake that first day and go to bed early, but that just does not seem to work for me, and since we were able to check in so early, we slept for a few hours. We stayed at the Thistle Trafalgar Square (115 pounds including VAT and breakfast). I felt that this was a great choice. You could not be closer to all the bus stops in Trafalgar Square (and of course, if you want to take the Tube, it is close as well), plus Trafalgar Square proved to be a great spot for all sorts of things going on. The room was small, which I expected, only the size of a night table between the two twin beds, but with a closet and dresser. The bathroom was decent size, and the shower was terrific! Lots of water as hot as you could possibly want it and plenty of water pressure. Sure felt good at the end of a day of sightseeing! The people at the desk were helpful if needed. The included buffet breakfast included eggs, sausage, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, croissants, beans, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, hash brown potatoes, bacon, basically anything you want. You could also order toast if you wanted it.

http://london.hotelguide.net/data/h100486.htm
Waldorf Meridien. 2002: 210 to 495
Also at discount 165 any date in August
and 176 Fridays to Saturdays all year
on http://www.hotelsengland.com./
www.discountcityhotels.com/London/Hotels/ LeMeridien-Waldorf-Aldwych-INFO.htm
In July 2003 the site www.travel-hotels-europe.co.uk/hotels/dist2/ 185/Le-Meridien-Waldorf-London-Aldwych.htm offered
Bed & Breakfast - Up To 30th September 2003
Price per Person Per Night in a double room Fri to Sun 82.50 Mon-Thurs 115
Single Supplement Monday To Thursday 80
Single Supplement Friday To Sunday 104.50

[email protected]