Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodation recommendations for Stirling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to use Stirling as a base for a couple of nights and need to be in a location convenient to bus & train, as well as walking to the castle in town. Please help with any suggestions of nice, moderately-priced B&B's or hotels in this area.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I answered on your other thread (it usually isn't necessary to start a new thread, you could have just topped this one)
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
plr
Original Poster

janisj, pardon my ignorance, but I seem to have a tough time figuring out how to be sure that my posts show up on the list when "scotland" is specified. This one did not, initially, and seemed to just get lost in the massive list of posts for Europe. What's the key here that I'm missing?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Hi plr,

There is only one forum for Europe as a whole. The idea of specifying a country while posting is purely for search purposes.

The easiest way to find all of your posts is to click on your name (in blue above).

Hope this helps,

Jim
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM

We (my parents, my husband and I) stayed in a really nice B&B called Ashgrove House in 2002.

Very close to the Castle - we didn't walk, but you easily could have. I don't know the location of train & bus routes/terminals, so can't help you out there.

We found Ashgrove House in a small "Best of Scotland B&B" pamphlet at a restaurant in the Highlands.

It was a gorgeous place, and the owners were really nice. Three rooms, for two nights each, were 60GBP (for the "mini suite&quot and 55GBP (per room per night), which we thought was quite reasonable.

It's a Victorian home, with all the trimmings, beautiful furniture, spacious rooms, elegant baths, and helpful hosts. (They recommended a nearby hotel for dinner, within easy walking distance, and it was excellent - and we even got a discount, thanks to the Ashgrove connection.)

Of course, this was all 3 1/2 years ago, so I have no idea if they're still in business or what their rates are, but you might want to try a google search and see if you can find them.

Good luck!

Gayle
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Maybe I am biased but please take a look at our website and decide

www.kilronan.co.uk

We are in Bridge of Allan, 2 miles from Stirling Castle (but frequent buses and trains to Stirling. Bridge of allan is a Victorian Spa village. Lots of good restaurants and pubs in walking distance. Close to the Wallace (Braveheart)Monument.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Isn't Bridge of Allan where there is a church designed (decorated?) by C. R. MacKintosh? We tried to go there once, but it's only open by chance, I think.

Nice town. I haven't stayed with the previous poster, but it sounds good!

Gayle