Loudres- to go or not to go?

Jan 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Loudres- to go or not to go?

We will be in France in April, we ar considering a visit to Loudres but we do not want to rent a car. Is it easy to get around Loudres without a car? Thanks for any advise.
Jan 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM

If you're referring to Lourdes, your don't need a car. You can take a train there and then get around on foot - or even in a wheelchair.
Jan 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM

It IS a pilgrimage centre. Who's ever heard of a pilgrimage centre you need a car to get round?

Especially one which practically has hot and cold running brancardiers on every corner to help anyone with any kind of disability.

It IS a shlep from Paris (min 6.5 hours by TGV, or relatively pricey internal flights to Tarbes) and not really near anywhere else most people, apart from a few skiers, would want to go for any reason.
Jan 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Are you devout and suffering from an incurable malady? If not, it's an awfully long way to go just to sightsee. And there are plenty of Catholic pilgrimage places in and around Paris. Have you hear of the shrine of the miraculous medal on the rue du bac? And of course there's Notre Dame and Sacre Cour and about 300 other churches to visit nearby. I'd say save yourself the trouble.
Jan 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Lourdes is easily reached by Paris by rail and once (and if) you arrive there is a bus which runs frequently from the station directly to the grotto area and you can also walk. The village itself isn't all that large and it is easy to get around on foot.

For many it is the most inspiring of all the various religious sites in France and it is a very popular destination for pilgrims as others above have said.
Jan 28th, 2006, 03:57 PM

I found the area around the shrine and cathedrals to be very interesting, but I was also intrigued that the only time I have ever been cheated on change was at a souvenir shop in Lourdes (!). Very small amount, but hey...