Notices

Accomodation in Prague

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodation in Prague

Hi,

my boyfriend and I are going to Prague this Fall (September).

We have been told that renting an appartment was the best option. If someone could confirm that, it would be great.

Also, can you provide recommendation of where we should stay in Prague. I want to be sure we are close from the main attraction and also not located in a dangerous sector.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM

nobody can say if it is the best option for you or not. i worked in prague for many months and rented a flat through a man named petr. he is one of the places that does short term lets. i believe he was with happy home rentals or something like that but has since moved to another office. he sent a note which i have in my office informing of his new office. he was really good to deal with, friendly and very competent. also, i worked with a very large well known prague bank as my client and they arranged the flat through petr so i think that should mean some level of trust. i shall try to get back with his contact info tomorrow.

my neighbourhood was karlin. this was flooded out during the big flood around 2001 and now undergoing a lot of revitilisation. it is very close to the centre (10-15 on the tram). it is not a touristy area as it is somewhat of a working class but up and coming mix. a tourist may want to look elsewhere (petr deals with all of prague) but i actually prefer this area to the more touristy bits as the buildings are beautiful but aren't shined up as much as in other areas.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:15 AM

ok, i found the note from Petr...he is in the same office as before, they just changed their website. it's

www.homesweethome.cz

as stated, this was the rental company that was used by the large prague bank that arranged my stay. i trust them and would use them again for a leisure or business visit. the service is also great as Petr met me at the flat at midnight after my flight was delayed by 3 hours on my initial visit. he was cheerful, spoke perfect english and didn't even mention my delay. the flat was fantastic and i had no problems during several months of stay.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:07 AM

There are swings and roundabouts for renting an apartment or a hotel I have done both. I stayed in an apartment the first time 6 of us went for a long weekend and it suited us to have a base we could all come and go as we pleased. The second time I went was as a couple and it was a 4 night stay and we stayed in another apartment. The last time I went there is was for 2 nights only and I opted for a hotel. I did not want to waste time either shopping for food to buy or looking for a place to eat breakfast. It suited me and the hubby to have a place we could just fall out of bed down stairs for breakfast and then out for the day. It also it had a bar if we wanted a night cap before going to bed, and free internet access.
Another good point about staying in a hotel is you interact with other visitors and pick up tips and advice from people who have stayed before. I gave a couple some good advise over breakfast. It was their first time to Prague and I told them about the travel card you could buy for a few days that was cheap and allowed you to travel on trams, metro and buses as much as you liked for the duration of the ticket. Also advised them to get a tram or a metro up to the castle and walk back down as it is a bit of a hike and they were in their 70's. I saw them the next day and they were very thankful about that advise, as they did what I sugested. It was very hot and she said they walk up would have finished her off for the day. It aslo ment they could use the travel tickets to go abit further a field if they wanted to.
It all depends on your needs, and your length of stay etc as to what is best for you.There are several websites with apartments for short rental's as well as a week or more rentals.
I have used this one twice it was recommneded to me by a friend who has used them several times in the past. You can also book airport transfers from this site which is worth considering, as the taxi's situation is still not that good in Prague. http://www.hotelsprague.cz/index_e_pr_rat.htm
You can also find may sites with hotel recommendations on once you have had a few other comments and decided what is best for your needs.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM
rex

I won't try to claim that it was the "best option", but it certainly was a very GOOD option for us (family of five; two adjacent apartments).

Booked through www.athos.cz and we were very pleased with their service in helping us find the best match for our location, space and price needs. And they won't specifically steer you to apartments. They can book any of dozens (hundreds?) of hotels for you also.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:53 AM
cd

Rex
What time of the year did you visit? I found a good deal from Gate one but it is in Oct-Nov. I checked the average temps and they are around 40 degrees. I hesitate booking because of that. We want to walk with comfort.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I have been to Prague a few times , once in Feb. and it was -13, although cold and some snow on the ground we wrapped up warm and it was fine. Lots of people go to Prague around that time, for valentines day, Jan and Feb are the coldest months. One other time I went was in Nov. I can't remember the temp, but it was colder than here, but warmer than the -13 when I went before. You have np problem walking around, just ensure you wrap up. In fact late November early December is popular with visitors as they have their Xmas market in the Old Square. They were just putting it up when I was leaving mid November. If I had thought about it I would delayed my trip until the Xmas market was up it was looking so pretty when they were setting it up.
Lots of Eurpoean cities have their Xmas markets at that time of the year they are very popular.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:46 AM
rex

We had wonderful weather the second week of May. I don't believe in following the anecdotal weather observations of any one person's trip. See www.weatherbase.com or www.worldclimate.com for weather averages that mean something.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM
rex

I see that you are right, though the address I listed does correctly redirect.