Accommodation in Vernazza Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am searching for accommodation for my visit in Cinque Terre in June. Anyone has any suggestions for the three places that I narrowed down – Trattoria Gianni Franzi, Albergo Barbara and the Martina Rooms. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Since it will be summer, one of my concerns is the ventilation in the rooms. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM

I stayed at Albergo Barbara in August 2002 (backpacking trip post-graduation). Just an FYI - there is no A/C and no elevator. This didn't bother me in the least but might bother others so I'm mentioning it. The room was decent-sized, clean, and very basic. The bed was comfortable enough, and I liked being right on the piazza. There was noise however, especially since I left the window open to try to cool the room with the sea breeze.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM

I think they are all similar. I do know that the only one that would take a one night stay was Gianni.

The actual rooms at Gianni are up the hill (under the fortress). Nice because it is quieter, no air conditioning but we just open the window and that was enough. There are a lot of steps up to the rooms.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I checked out Albergo’s website, their rooms seem decent and clean. However, the hotel is closed now and doesn’t accept reservation at this moment. How would you describe the summer weather in Cinque Terre? Would it be very hot?
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM

I've been to the CT in May, June, and August. In the daytime in the summer months, it can get into the mid-80sF. It does cool off at night because of the sea breeze. Even in August, I usually put on pants and a light long-sleeve shirt in the evening.

In June it should be plenty hot enough for swimming and enjoying the beach during the day, but it should cool off enough at night for you to be able to sleep without A/C. It is humid though, so evenings can feel a bit "sticky".
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's very helpful to know.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

In terms of the views (facing the sea if possible =P), which one is better?
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM

hi - we stayed in one of the sub rosa private rooms that you can read about in other threads, and we loved it. But I should preface that statement with an admission - we arrived without reservations because we were unwilling to pin down our schedule (we wound up adding an extra night in Florence) and I wasn't in the best mood about our chances of getting a room when we arrived in Vernazza with the throngs of day-trippers. My wife wisely parked me in the plaza with a beer and walked the town until she met our hostess, a wonderful woman who timidly showed her the room. We had a nice view of the cove behind the fortress and, aside from a few mosquitos in May, we had a very relaxing and comfortable 3-night stay (no AC in room). If you feel very strongly about advance reservations you should periodically check back with the owners before/during your trip as nervousness about you honoring the reservation and double-booking by the operators are storied concerns in town.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Hi bbkwong,

I had a double room with a sea view. It was up a few flights of stairs and had a shared bathroom. I believe there are a few rooms that have bathrooms ensuite for a little higher price. The window facing the piazza and sea allowed for cooling breezes... but there was some noise from the piazza cafes, beach, etc.