Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Paris - this apartment or the Hotel Brighton?

Jun 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

We're in Paris for 5 nights and currently booked into the Hotel Brighton. After reading through a number of threads on this website, I looked into the possibility of renting an apartment. Unfortunately I had left it all too late ... I have now been advised that this apartment is available - http://www.perfectplaces.com/24752. The cost is comparable with the Hotel Brighton. I'd really appreciate some guidance on the merits of both places/locations etc etc. There's only my daughter and I involved.
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM

I personally prefer the 6th over the 1st (Brighton). The Brighton will be on one of the busiest streets in Paris...but you will be directly across form the Tuileries Gardens, steps to Louvre, near Champs Elysee, Palais Royal..places you woould be wanting to vist anyways.

With no specific address on the appartment, can only guess near Place St Michel. You will get more of a neighbourhood vibe in the 6th, lots of restaurants, people out at night. Notre Dame/Ile St Louis/Seine close by, easy access to RER for Versailles/CDG.

I'd go appart...
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Melsal: I would want to see more photos of this apartment. Why aren't we seeing a photo of the bedroom? The flat looks rather dark (not many windows that I can see) and the ceiling looks low. I would want to know what floor it's on and the address of the building before making any decisions between this flat and the Hotel Brighton. EJ
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Ask for the exact address them use www.pagesjaunes.fr to check out the location and to look at pictures of the building and to "walk down the street" and look at all the other buildings. Then do the same for the Brighton.
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Michel_Paris - appreciate the tip on the busy street and preference for the 6th.

elsiejune & amwosu - I've asked for the address of the flat. I know that it's on the 4th floor, and there's an elevator. Will then pursue it further via the website recommended.

This is a tough call! Thanks for your input.
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

The apartment owner has provided the following information:

"Address:
59 rue St André des Arts
75006 PARIS
The 59/61 is a passage, and the entrance of the building is in the passage. The windows are overlooking on the street and the bedroom is on a yard."

Jun 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM

I would definitely ask for a picture of the bedroom. Will your daughter be fine sleeping on a sofabed?

I googled "Francine Carpon" and "rental" -- a review of this apartment came up on tripadvisor. Check out the source to make sure she has a posting history and is legit. But she seems to have liked the apartment...

"Posted on: 7:57 pm, May 10, 2007 Save

Try perfectplaces.com, and look for the apartment on Rue st. Andre des Arts. The owner is Francine Carpon. We stayed there in March of this year and highly recommend it. It's very new on the market, we were only the second renters to stay there. An unbeatable location, 5th floor with lift, completely refurbished, well-stocked kitchen. Since it's new on the market, you might get lucky in renting it for next month.
Good luck! You can mention my name, I'm hoping we've become friends!
Joyce"