Search

Left Luggage options in London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Luggage options in London

Hello Everyone -

After staying in London for a week or so we are heading to Switzerland for 10 days. And then we will be back in London for few more days.

We would like to travel light to Switzerland, with that in mind I looked at the left luggage option at Heathrow. It is looking pretty expensive. For 2 bags it would cost us around $24/day (@ 6 pounds/bag) or ~ $240/- for a 10 day period.

Are there cheaper alternatives in London for left baggage? The hotel in London is not willing to keep our luggage for a 10 day period.

Regards
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
if you hotel won't do it - the £6 is what you'd pay at any of the train stations.

do you need that much luggage? Sounds like you will each have 2 suitcases (2 left behind in London and two w/ you in Switzerland) Why not search on here for some of the threads about packing light. It would save you a lot of money . . .
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:16 PM

hmmmmmmmmm

depending on the size of the luggage you could post it to yourself.

OK stick with me here

the post office have a service called poste restante - basically instead of sending post to someone's address you send it to post restante - with your address after.

The post office then holds the mail for collection.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...catId=19100180
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Could you consolidate the 2 cases' worth into one bigger case, to halve the cost ?

Or - have you tried asking your accommodation in London if they will store it ?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Agree, take two larger suitcases. For the Switzerland part of the trip, share one suitcase and leave one behind. Will halve your storage costs.
Or find accommodations in London that would be willing to hold your bags for 10 days.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:06 AM

sashh's suggestion is well worth thinking about.

A 20 kg parcel costs only £13 to post to a domestic address. Poste Restante is free, though lots of post offices will struggle to find space for a suitcase.

Just don't believe the instructions on the website. In spite of this dreadful government's determination to destroy our network of post offices, there will be a lot more than one post office in London when you're on holiday here (or does the website know something they're keeping secret from us?)

Don't send it to Poste Restante London. Use the website to find a post office convenient to you (which might even be Heathrow) and send it specifically to that office.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

sashh: Your solution is ingenious.

I really wonder if it will work for a 31" giant suitcase? Has anyone actually tried it?

I am looking at reducing the luggage but as an American its not in the blood to travel light . We have gifts etc for folks for the last leg of our journey after visiting Switzerland.

Regards
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
a 31 inch suitcase is ridiculously large. No wonder you want to ditch it!! But I'd ditch it before you leave home. No one needs a bag that large. (and don't blame it on being American - has nothing to do w/ it )