Search

About those security measures at Warsaw Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:46 AM
Eli
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About those security measures at Warsaw Airport

New restrictions on passengers travelling to USA, Canada, Great Britain and Israel, prohibit several items to be carried in cabin luggage.
Has anyone flown out from Okecie lately, who would know if there is a way around it as far as purchasing duty-free alcohol is concerned? (e.g. merchandise delivery at the airplane door, etc.)?
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM

We visited Warsaw 2 weeks ago with the tougher security restrictions. If you are flying from the new Etuida terminal (mostly low cost airlines) you will find it tough. We arrived 2 hours before departure to check in and found it took 1 and a half hours to get to the front of the queue! This was just as check-in was closing. However it didn't matter as due to the restrictions many airlines are finding it difficult to keep to their schedules and so aircraft are arriving and departing late. The restriction on cabin luggage and liquids only applies to items brought to check-in. Once you get beyond that, to the duty-free zone, you are able to buy what you want and carry it onto the plane in the normal way. You are just not able to take similar items through check-in.
The main advice to give you is to allow yourself plenty of time at the airport, especially if you want to shop for your duty-free after check-in.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Eli
Original Poster

Nigel, thanks! You saved my trip ;-) The way you describe the procedure surely makes more sense than what stupid me had originally thought. Cheers.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:16 PM

Eli, just a comment. I was reading the Rome Airport website rules today. They said that passengers could buy duty-free alcohol after clearing security at the Rome Airport. BUT, they said if a passenger was flying on a flight to the US and IF in the US the passenger had another flight in the US after arriving at the first US airport that the passenger would not be allowed to bring the duty free alcohol onto the second flight in the US.

My thinking, since one would go through immigration and customs at the arrival airport in the US and would consequently be collecting their luggage they would be able to put their duty free luggage into the checkin luggage before they rechecked it for the second flight in the US but just wanted to mention it so you will save room in your checkin luggage to do that. Best regards.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:39 PM

And of course I meant put the duty free liquor (not luggage) into the checkin luggage.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 01:50 PM

I guess all those restrictions are for DIRECT flights to USA, Canada, Great Britain and Israel ??? Where if you flying ie. thru Helsinki or Amsterdam etc. then no restrictions?
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:43 AM

You are correct that the restrictions only apply to "passengers travelling from Terminal 1 to USA, Canada, Great Britain and Israel". However they also apply to ALL passengers using the Etiuda Terminal whatever their destination. And of course the rules are subject to change so it may be a good idea to keep an eye on the Warsaw Airport website http://www.polish-airports.com/ for up-to-date information.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Thank you Nigel99