Johannesburg Airport

Jul 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Johannesburg Airport

Can anyone tell me how much time I should plan for getting from the domestic terminal to the international terminal at Tambo Arpt.? I need to book a domestic flight from Capetown to Jo'burg from where I have a scheduled flight to Europe in the evening. I'd prefer to spend as much of the day in Capetown as possible. Thanks
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM

If you walk quickly, you can make it in 2 minutes.
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM

I am not sure I completely agree with this. We flew from CPT-JNB on SAA, had to collect our luggage downstairs, go upstairs and then outside, seems like we walked for a long while +5 minutes, then had to go inside and re-check our luggage on a BA flight to LHR (fairly long line to re-check bags). They would not transfer the luggage straight thru (we asked but they said you have enough time to transfer, so "no"). We were not sure where we needed to go, so a very nice airport worker walked us over to the other terminal, it would have taken alot longer if we were just figuring out by ourselves. I travel on a regular basis, and this was not a quick airport transfer (at least for us).
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:37 AM

It is possible that I am confusing the above transfer with the domestic transfer in JNB, which was very long. If both flights are on the same airline and you do not have to re-check bags, it will make it much easier.
Jul 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Michael is right. I made it with a luggage cart in 5/minutes.

If having to transfer with luggage and different air carriers that's another issue, but the terminals are right next to one another.

wcy - you have to allow yourself at least 2/hrs for checkin and security prior your international flight... that's the schedule you should be looking at. When does the flight arrive from CPT into JNB? If you have luggage, then you probably have to collect and recheck, so allow time for this. If carryon only, then 5/minutes.

However, once you get to the international terminal, from recent friend's comments, it's rather hectic as passengers don't seem to know where to go, which line, etc. Some airport staff are helpful, others not so much. It'll be up to you to allow sufficient time for such situations.

But the walk, is a short one.
Jul 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM

JNB is so, so, so messed up with construction, you may very well have to walk across a parking garage to get anywhere (I did). I would allow 10 to 15 minutes to get anywhere there.

regards - tom
ps - JNB is now ORT? Did you says ORD? No, I said ORT.