Search

A week on the Isle of Mull?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week on the Isle of Mull?

Hi all,

A new year and the diary is out planning the odd week here and there for 2009.

This year the Isle of Mull looks like a favourite but wondered if there would be enough to keep us busy for a week or should we tie Mull in with a visit elsewhere?

Our holidays tend to consist of general walking and visits to gardens, castles, wildlife etc.

A split between Oban and Mull is one consideration but in 2007 we stayed in Balloch (Loch Lomond) and visited the surrounding areas which I think would also be covered from a base at Oban.

We covered North of Oban and Skye, Lewis and Harris a couple of years earlier so were looking at anything to the west (I.e another island) or any to the South.

We can always add an extra week on if the other islands are worth visiting off Mull and more time is needed.

Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I could easily enjoy a week on Mull - but it really isn't necessary to spend that much time. Unless you want a really relaxing/laid back 7 days, I'd probably recommend 4 max on Mull. There's lots to see and do - Iona, Staffa, the Treshnish ilses, <u>many</u> beautiful beaches, a few castles, the distillery, the theatre, etc.

So renting a cottage for a week would be fine - but 4 days on Mull and 3 for exploring Kilmartin/Kintyre/Inveraray and the area generally south/southeast of Oban would be a good division IMO. I personally would not stay in Oban but somewhere south of there.

Or - another option would be 4 days on Mull and 3 days on Islay. That would be a terrific holiday.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Both your options sound great so I'll do a little more investigating and planning.

Cheers
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:36 AM

You could pass a fine week in Mull with your interests. It's not my favourite, but it does have gardens, castles and masses of wildlife.

There is a huge amount of similar on the west coast generally (I might add that there's quite a lot over the Sound of Mull, that you could day trip on the Fishnish ferry)

Tiree and Coll are lovely too, but there's less there in terms of built/developed environment. Nature is to die for, tho'

On the other hand, you could do Islay and Jura and find yourselves in a little bit of heaven!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:11 AM

I would spend 4 nights on Mull, staying in Tobermory, and 3 nights on Iona which is very special, particularly after the daytrippers have gone.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts. I can always rely on you three ladies to give me advice in Scotland.

We looked at all the options and decided on booking self catering in Tobermory for a week.

The local tourist information centres have posted maps and leaflets and it seems we can easily visit most of the island in week at leisure (allowing plenty of time for walks - even in the wet). And I didn't realise how many beaches there were (Hopefully as empty and tranquil as Skye and Harris)

We are also likely to spend a day (or maybe half) on Iona (We did look at longer but from what I gather no cars are allowed so we would have been stuck with the luggage - or leaving some in the car in Mull) - Unless I'm missing an obvious solution?

Also likely to take in a boat trip around Staffa and Islay and the other islands (Some trips drop you off and collect later).

Do you know when Easter is in Scotland? The reason being is we are travelling in the English Easter holidays but some of the tourist places don't open until Easter and wondered if this differed in Scotland.

Now ready to mark up the map with places to visit, travel times etc etc (This 'drives' the other half mad) but hey I love it.

Thanks again.

Ted
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Mull is not a beachy island, although it has some beaches. It's a busier place than the Outer isles

You can walk round Iona in a day. If you want to get the best of Iona, book into the hotel or one of the B&amp;Bs, take a late ferry and drop off your bags, see the Abbey, and have the evening on the island. Stay overnight and go back the next day

Easter is at the usual time in Scotland- ie 12th April.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sheila,

More beaches than I would have expected www.holidaymull.co.uk/outdoors/beaches-mull.php

Although not all your 'bucket and spade' type.

With regards to Easter do you know when the schools break up? Here it is between the 4 and 19 April.

Cheers
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM

It varies from council to council, but basically the 4th to the 19th.