Scotland - Isle of Skye lodging question

Oct 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Scotland - Isle of Skye lodging question

Hello! Dh and I are planning an anniversary trip to Scotland, in April/May next year for 2 weeks. We did sort of a "grand tour" of Scotland 5 years ago, and have been anxious to go back. We will have the wee one with us (she will be 2 years old, and rest assured, she has logged more air miles than most adults I know). We would like to make our home base on Skye, and then do some travelling to the Outer Hebrides (missed them the first go round.) We really love light hiking, and exploring anything old (churches, homes, cemetaries, castles, ruins, whathaveyou.)
1) any recommendations for lodging, either self catering or b&b? I was initially planning on self catering, but I see that a lot require a specific week, and I am a tad concerned with how that will work out with our flights, which might be a little wacky as we are using ff miles. But that should be ironed out shortly.)
2) Any recommendations on the Hebrides, things not to miss, or how to navigate the ferry system/schedules?
3) Last time we went, it was mid-September, and we missed out on the ferry that goes over to the Giants Causeway in Ireland as a daytrip--- but I am having trouble finding info about it now. Does this still exist?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I have always received wonderful advice from this board.
Kate
Oct 15th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I've stayed on Skye once, and the B&B I was in, while great and friendly (Tir Alainn), it was located in Broadford, which isn't too convenient to the more spectacular parts of the island.

However, I've come across some items while researching our next trip, which will be right after yours (June 2008).

Ferries among the islands don't normally run on Sundays, as they are 'wee free' isles, and observe Sunday as a day of rest. Plan accordingly. We actually shifted ours around, because we had originally planned on going from Lewis to Skye on a Sunday.

Don't miss the Calanais (Callanish) standing stones on the Isle of Lewis - one of the largest standing stone complexes in the world.

On Skye, Dunvegan Castle is a popular spot, home of the Fairy Flag. Nearby is a Michelin-starred restaurant called Three Chimneys which I plan to partake of on my trip

Some self-caterings allow for short breaks, especially in off-season like you will be going, so do enquire if you find a place you like.

Have fun!
Oct 15th, 2007, 07:16 AM

I'd naill down my air tickets first. Many ff tickets are snapped up right at the release dates nearly 12 months ahead.

Once you know your dates - then you probably can work out at least one Sat-Sat week for self catering. There is a Bank holiday the first Monday in May but but that really shouldn't affect Skye rental cottages too much. There will still be some available.

Skye and the outer islands are wonderful - but not so thick w/ churches, stately homes, and castles. Absolutely great scenery and hiking but relatively few bldgs to visit.

I might consider something like 3 or 4 days/nights on Skye, 2 or 3 days/nights out on Lewis/Harris (these could be in B&Bs, or in rental cottages if you can find short breaks) and a week in a cottage somewhere on the mainland.

Or staying the whole time on Skye/the islands is great too if you mostly want to hike.
Oct 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM

You will almost certainly be able to get the dates you want in self catering places in April or may, so long as you're outside the school hols.

I can't much help with B&Bs- I don't use them, but I'd suggest you use the Outer isles as the filling in your sandwich.

So, stay in Skye and do Skye, Plockton, Raasay, Glenelg and even Eilean Donan if you must(we can provide more details later).

Then take the ferry from Uig to Tarbet on Harris.

There's aplace that I've seen advertised on Harris, I've been wanting to try for ages. Whilst I was looking for the web site,

http://www.stay-hebrides.com/

I also stumbled on thisbr /> http://www.borvemor.zetnet.co.uk/mainpage.html

Use Harris as your base for Lewis and Harris- maybe 2 days?

Then take the wee ferry from Leverburgh to Berneray and drive right down the chain of islands linked by causeways- Berneray; North Uist; Benbecula; South Uist; Eriskay. Again, maybe 2 days.

Either go back to Skye from there, or take a day trip to Barra from Lochboisdale, and then go back to Uig from Lochmaddy in North Uist.

There's masses of nice self-catering all over the islands.
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Thought you might like to know, this is the place we've reserved... you might want to take a look as well

http://www.the-lodge-at-edinbane.co.uk/

Nov 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM

We stayed at this B&B in Portree earlier this year and would really recommend it. Very friendly owners, very helpful with ideas of where to eat, where to go etc. Portree is a picturesque small town with lots of good restaurants. We'd definitely go back to Skye and the Ben Tianavaig.

http://www.ben-tianavaig.co.uk/

Kay
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM

I would agree with Kay above. My family and I stayed at Ben Tianavaig earlier this year. I would recommend it to anyone. BTW, Skye is one of the most beautiful places on earth. All the best.