A week near Oban?

Search

A week near Oban?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week near Oban?

We are spending 2 1/2 weeks or so in Scotland this July and August -- one week near Edinburgh, going to the Fringe festival, and one week in a self-catering cottage on Loch Awe near Oban. Can anyone give me ideas of scenic and/or interesting places we can drive to near Oban while we're there? We don't want to spend huge amounts of time in the car. We'd like to go to Mull and possibly spend a night there -- any suggestions on a place to stay? We don't like to rough it but also don't like to spend a lot, so a moderately priced hotel or B&B would be great. Thanks very much.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:56 PM

A few things to see near Loch Awe: Kilmartin and the standing stones/cairns, carrae Gardens, Inveraray, Kilchurn Castle, Dunstaffnage castle, Bon Awe Iron works - really fascinating, Seil Island, and Loch Linnhe/Glen Coe.<BR><BR>Two really great small B&amp;Bs on Mull are Seaview and Red Bay - both in Fionnphort. <BR><BR>Seaview is the more expensive of the two - but it is still very reasonable. It is on the water about 150 yards from the pier for the Iona ferry and the boats to Staffa. The breakfast room and two of the bedrooms have glorious views across to the Abbey on Iona. The sunsets must be seen to be believed.<BR><BR>Red Bay also has good views of Iona/ the water.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:57 PM

http://www.lunga.com/<BR><BR>This is a delightful B&amp;B Manor House south of Oban about 25 miles... a short drive for a wonderful place. It's a 16th century house with about 14 rooms, near the coast. The host is very nice, and breakfast is wonderful. I believe the tariff is around &pound;25 per night inclusive of VAT.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:07 PM

Bess,<BR><BR>It sounds like you'll have a wonderful time. I love the area round Loch Awe, and have spent a few weeks there, myself.<BR><BR>Firstly, you are in an area where most of the tourism is about the scenery not the buildings, so do remember to stop and smell the heather.<BR><BR>Loch Awe runs between Dalmally in the north and Ford in the south, but if you go down the loch to Inverary, there is a lot to see round there. In Inverary itself, there is the castle and the jailhouse and the tall ship in the port. The town itself is an 18th century planned village, worth looking round. Just a few minutes along the Glasgow road is the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. Do go and eat there one night.You must read &quot;Kidnapped&quot; before you go to this area.<BR><BR>Going south west from Inverary you come to Lochgilphead (the Dundee of the west, I always think) but if you go round to Ardrishaig, you are at one end of the Crinan canal, and you should wander along its length. Crinan is lovely and in one of the canal basins, you will find the &quot;Vital Spark&quot; and old Clyde Puffer, the star of teh TV series &quot;Tales of Para Handy&quot; and you should read that too. Do go south from Crinan to Tayvallich and have lunch at the Tayvallich Inn. Absolutely wonderful wildlife around here, especially birds.<BR><BR>Going north from Crinan, there is Dunadd and Kilmartin Glen. Janis mentioned it. May I rave about it? It's jam packed with prehistoric remains- stone circles, standing stones, pictish symbol stones, burial mounds, chambered cairns, and, of course, Dunadd itself. There is a very good little visitor centre at the north end of the glen to help with interpretation. The Loch Melfort Hotel does wonderful food. It's right next to Arduaine National Trust Gardens, which tho' most spectaular in spring are well worth seeing at any time of the year. And do go to Seil<BR><BR>If you go up to Dalmallly and turn left you will come down to Oban, past some of the things Janis mentioned. You pass under the bulk of Ben Cruachan, which houses a huge eletricity generator in its middle and that'a great visit too. It's the site in Christopher Brookmyre's recent novel (I can't remember which one by name, but I'll tell you later) and the train line from Cruachan down to Oban feature in Morvern Caller- book and recent movie. Go the other way at Dalmally and then hang a left and go up through beautiful Glen Orchy to Rannoch moor and west down through Glen Coe, site of the infamous massacre. This is &quot;39 Steps&quot; country. (Do you think I see my country in terms of book settings?)<BR><BR>A long days' drive would be to go up Loch Linnhe as far as Corran and cross the loch on the ferry and go all the way west to Ardnamurchan point- Scotland's westernmost landfall. You could get the boat from Lochaline to Fishnish on Mull then back to Oban from Craignure, as a round trip.<BR><BR>I've stayed in the harbour B&amp;B in Tobermory and it did the bizz for me.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice -- and Sheila, thanks for the reading recommendations! Until we actually are able to smell the heather, at least I can read about it.<BR><BR>One more question: Is anyone familiar with the little theater on Mull? I'm a theater critic and am curious whether it would be worth our time for a busman's holiday. I'm also curious where we might spend the night nearby. <BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:38 PM

I don't know much about the Little Theatre but it gets a good name.<BR><BR>It's near Dervaig. There is quite a lot of choice there, but mine (my taste- maybe not yours) would be the Druimard Hotel, which I've seen from the outside. A nice lady called June from New Jersey, stayed there a couple of years ago. You'll find her under &quot;Clousie&quot; on here.<BR><BR>http://www.druimard.co.uk/rooms.html
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Bess,<BR>We went to the Mull little theater in Dervaig a couple of years ago and it was one of the high points of our trip. Very high quality production with only 3 actors. The closest place to stay is at a guest house right next door to the theater....I forget the name. We stayed at Glengorm Castle outside of Tobermory which was also a memorable experience.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:30 AM

The theatre is WONDERFUL!. There are a lot of places nearby - especially since Tobermory is so close. But I would not pick a place simply because it is near Dervaig. There is so much else to see on Mull - you could stay anywhere and be within driving distance of the theatre.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! The theater will be open only the last couple of nights we're on Loch Awe, but now I think we have to make a point of going there. I'm told it's the smallest professional theater in the world.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:00 AM

You are staying in a lovely area. Depending where you are on Loch Awe, taking the drive through Glen Coe is wonderful (but you'll probably already have done that). <BR><BR>A really nice trip from Oban is to take one of the trips to Mull/Staffa/Iona and/or the Treshnish Isles. To me, I prefer the Mull/Staffa/Treshnish trip as I like being out in the nature and I have a thing for puffins. Plus the Treshnish are so beautiful. It's a full day, but well worth it. You leave the car at the ferry site and the tour company does the rest. (There are a few companies dotted along the pier where you can book your trip)(Also don't miss a meal at the Waterfront Restaurant in Oban... very good!). <BR><BR>Mull itself is really pretty and not very populated. There are some lovely B&amp;B's there... one of the nicer ones is connected to the Dovecote restaurant. But this is more remote than staying in Tobermory or Fionnphort. We also have stayed at some really isolated places on Mull, I don't think they even have names, or I would give them to you, but they were wonderful - &quot;see a sign on the road, turn off, drive along until you find it&quot; kind of places. I guess for me living in London, when I go up to Scotland, I prefer to get away from it all... <BR><BR>Loch Fyne is also lovely and there are some really pretty bike rides and hikes you can do along the canal. Also seek out the fabulous Loch Fyne Oyster Bar.<BR><BR>There are some lovely short walks around Crinan with fabulous views over to the islands and over the lochs. <BR><BR>After writing this I just went and looked at what some of the other posters have written... sounds like we are all in accord. <BR><BR>Have a great trip... it's all wonderful out there.