A Week in Venice

Mar 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

A Week in Venice

This will be our third trip to Venice and this time we have an apartment for one week. Please let me hear about some easy day trips out of Venice (by train) that were memorable. We look forward to just wandering the streets of Venice and finally seeing the museums. We will also do a day trip to the islands of Burano and Murano (again)but now have the time to experience some other small towns outside of Venice. Would love to hear from you! Thanks...
Mar 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
ira

Hi rj,

I have spent, perhaps, 3 weeks in Venice over many visits and have never found it necessary to leave the city.

However, I'm told that Padua, Verona and Ravenna are worth a daytrip.

Bologna is about 1:30 hr away.

Mar 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Since you're going to Burano you can easily add Torcello (5 minutes from Burano) and see the Santa Maria Assunta church with its wonderful mosaics.

Another trip outside of Venice is to Padua to see the Scrovegni chapel, full of frescoes by Giotto. You need to make timed reservations. Padua is about 30 minutes from Venice and the chapel about a 10 minute walk from the train station.
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM

Hello rjkollar, another vote for you to go by train to Padua if you want to take a day trip. It is a very walkable city (flat), a University City and as adrienne suggested seeing the Scrovegni chapel is so worthwhile. Also you might want to visit the enormous and striking Basicalla di San Antonio. Ravenna is quite a day trip from Venice so personally I wouldn't do that as lovely as it is to see the famous mosaics, but others have. Verona is very interesting but personally I prefer Padua. I wish I could remember the name of the buildings that have all the wonderful food including the meat market. But someone in Padua will be able to assist you. Since you have an apartment in Venice you might want to make some purchases to take back to Venice. And if it appeals to you enjoy visiting the old and famous Caffe Pedrocchi.

Wishing you a beautiful trip and good memories!
Mar 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! We KNOW we won't be without lots of wonderful things to see and do!!!

Is Caffe Pedrocchi in Venice or Padua?
Mar 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM

Sorry rjkillar, Caffe Pedrochhi is in Padua! It is in the main center. It has been there since the early 1800's. The food market I mentioned is in Padua also.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:52 AM

Hi RJ - Treviso is another lovely town within 30 mins of Venice.

Bassano del Grappa and Vicenza are also attractive options. Or ... consider Asolo. Or Chioggia ...

Steve
Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM

I sort of agree with ira, i.e. with only a week in Venice, there is more than enough to see without leaving the lagoon. But I also agree that Padua and Verona are worth a trip. I cannot say anything about Ravenna, never having been there. Treviso is also worth a visit. Last year I 'did' Castelfranco and Cittadella the same day. Both towns retain their medieval city walls almost complete. They are quite close to Venice and take little time by train. Chioggia by ferry and bus is very good too. So you are in Venice for a week and you go to Padua, Verona, Ravenna, Treviso, Castelfranco and Cittadella, and Chioggia. That leaves you one day to look around Venice!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Hahahaha! Don't worry, Bert, we'll probably only do one day trip by train so just have to decide WHICH town to visit.

Thanks everyone!!!