One week in Venice - trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into and out of Venice. I think 4 days in Venice would be enough to see the sites. Any suggestions about trips out of Venice for a few days, then return to fly out in the afternoon?
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:23 PM

Vicenza
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM

Veneto is sublime.

Closest is Padua - - best market anywhere; Scrovegni chapel unbelievable and a must - - but visiting Padua can be a bit 'hard' - - it requires good planning, good choice of hotel location, and willingness to explore facets that are not automatically easily for tourists. In other words, authentic, vivid, and real.

Vicenza might be worth a daytrip instead of a stay, but is completely enchanting. The center is a fantasy.

Ferrara is a city that is best lived-into. It is totally flat, it extends broadly, the food is great, and it is best experienced by bicycle. Medieval and ornate joys (not to mention great tastes) are there in subtle-to-appreciate abundance.

Bologna is at first city-like and seems too brusque and bustling, but if you hang around and walk a lot, it's a total charm, and a total beauty.

Verona is a mix of pretty various excellences and touristic over-focused sights. I don't think Verona is genuinely exciting, unless you have certain can't-be-denied things in mind.

Ravenna is further afield, transportation-wise, but had certain marvels (mosaics) that could make a sojourn worthwhile.

If you want beach and aren't satisfied with Lido di Venezia, then Rimini is a world apart, and an Italian classic, but it is like 2.5 hours from Venice.

The places I haven't been but may be worthwhile are Trieste (an Italo/Croat/Austrian blend not too far by train from Venice) and Chioggia (down the coastal island from Venice/Lido).
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to make a reservation online or by telephone to see the Scrovegni Chapel in Padova.

It is as easy as pie to take the train from Santa Lucia Station in Venice to Padova.

You can walk from Padova Station to the Scrovegni Chapel.

There are lots of high-end shops in Padova.

Keith and I go to Venice for two weeks.

4 days just doesn't cut it. You will miss so much.

Thin
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Vicenza, Padua and Bassano del Grappa are all good choices and not too far felm Venice.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Than you all for the suggestions. I was worried we'd get bored after 4 days in Venice, but the side trips you all recommended eased my mind.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did three day trips during two weeks in Venice. You won't run out of things to do.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Bored in Venice, never! Explore well off the main drags and discover your own favorite spots. Do try and see the Ca' D'Oro, Academia Gallery, Ca' Rezonnico, of course the Guggenheim-- each seems to be closed on a different day, thank goodness. If you must leave the city, perhaps opt for Vincenza or Verona, and while we loved Padua (were there on business 5 days) were totally underwhelmed by the Scrovegni Chapel. Lots of time w/ reserving, waiting, etc., was not our favorite -- perhaps too finely detailed to truly take in from below? Also, there are boat trips from Venice to Palladian villas via the Brenta Canal ending in Padua, but by the time I learned of it, missed out. Perhaps someone can comment if they are worthwhile.