A week in lyon, advice appreciated

Apr 17th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

A week in lyon, advice appreciated

My wife is participating in a study abroad program that involves her spending a week in Lyon, France. I agreed to accompany her, against my better judgement.
Ive never been outside of the united states and i hate airplanes. But i'm attempting to make the best of it.
This trip involves a lot of downtime for me and the other student's spouses, so i'll be on my own most of the time. I'm hoping someone can suggest some things for me to do. i speak no french, I'll attempt to learn a few basics before the trip. I have no interest in history, architecture, or past culture. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like im going to have a miserable time in france. I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong.
One other random question, what is the beverage selection like? I'm not interested in alcohol, just soft drinks. I usually only drink sprite or lemonade due to dietary restrictions. Is there anything comparable?
Apr 17th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Lyon was the base for the Resistance in France during WWII. There are some interesting tours available and an excellent museum devoted to this. You can order a Citron Presse which is similar to lemonade Sorry I can't help on soft drinks.There are lots of interesting things ,Take the funicilar to the top of the city for great views. see the paineted building in the newer part of the city. good transportation buses trams . Lots of good eating too!!!
Apr 17th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a miserable time. OK, we know all the things you don't like, so what DO you like?

Soft drinks cost a fortune in France.
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

hmmmm. what do i like?
football (the american kind), professional wrestling, automotive racing, urban culture, esspecially graffitt (nyc has been my favorite vacation so far), I'm open to shopping, but im a 27 year old male, so high end clothing retailers are a bore to me. i have zero interest in history, so museums are pretty much out of the equation.
should i just bring my own soft drinks?
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Seriously, don't bother coming. You seem to have zero interest in anything that France has to offer.

It sounds as if you will have an absolutely miserable time and you'd probably enjoy a week at home by yourself a lot more. You'll save a lot of money as well.

Why pay money to cross the Atlantic to sit and drink Sprite?
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Well, with regard to graffiti, it might interest you that all the wonderful murals and trompe l'oeuil around Lyon were created when the city decided to get all the young graffiti artists to stop spray painting and start doing "real art." There is a bus tour you can take that starts down by the river that wanders through the city by all the murals. I found it fascinating, but if you have no interest in art....

Bringing your own soft drinks would be ridiculous, if it were even possible. You can buy packs at grocery stores and alimentaires all over the city.
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Can this post be real??????
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
ira

Hi BL,

You would be much better off letting your wife go by herself.

This will give you both a nice trial separation, which could be easily extended should you both wish it.

I'm sure that an amicable divorce is in the offing.

Enjoy staying home.

Apr 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM

The usual advice is to go to some of the good museums in Lyon, walk around the Old Quarter, etc. But if you literaly have zero interest in those, it is tough to know what to advise. Having said that, of course there are young guys in Lyon who probably feel the same you do, but they might live there so have other things to do.

YOu can just walk around a lot, see the river, go up on the hill where the basilica is, that kind of stuff. How about taking a Segway tour, at least that might be fun for you. YOu can canoe or kayak around Lyon on the rivers, that is more sporty. Why not go to the tourism website and you can find out how to do these things and maybe some others that would interest you
http://www.en.lyon-france.com/
Apr 17th, 2013, 09:23 AM

oh, as for soft drinks, you won't have any problem. YOu will probably recognize the names, if you are there for that long, go into a grocery store or small convenience store and just look in that section, you'll see stuff you recognize, both names you know and some you won't Fanta is a common soft drink over there, and Orangina, you'll find stuff like 7up and Sprite.
Apr 17th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

the murals and trompe l'oeui sounds promising. i appreciate your answer. i would much rather stay at home, but i have too much money invested in the trip to not go (passport, cancellation fees). like i stated, im hoping to make the best of it.
divorce because i dont like museums? harsh
Apr 17th, 2013, 10:56 AM

There would be a lot of divorces if everyone got divorced who didn't like museums, that's for sure. After all, for all we know, your wife doesn't like museums, either, so you are compatible. YOu aren't that unusual, actually. I'd go for the kayaking and Segway.
Apr 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM

I'm of the philosophy that when life hands me lemons, I make lemonade. Maybe if you try to adopt a more open and positive outlook, you'll discover something there that can help you enjoy the trip more. Certainly, your wife will enjoy it more if you do.

Maybe just people watching at a sidewalk cafe or strolling through the ancient streets will show you new ways of seeing the world. Not to mention, some delicious and romantic dinners! You're really very fortunate to have this chance.
Apr 17th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Welcome, brandon_ligon. When you mentioned dietary restrictions, my "uh oh" antenna went up. Food is one of the major draws in Lyon. What can you eat? Please say red meat.

My late husband and I were there for just a few nights but we enjoyed the historic area and the pedestrian area between the two rivers. And we had some outstanding meals.

I went to the fabric museum as I am interested in textiles. The silk industry in Lyon certainly falls into history, but it's a very interesting one IMHO. This museum showed some of the early machines that automated fabric weaving. It also had a room of gloves--some of those were so cool and not just for women.

You might buy your wife some silk. Or shop for a special gift for her to remember an amazing opportunity. As you have read, we are not just travel advisors, we are free with all of our opinions...
Apr 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Here's an English-language calendar of sporting events and venues in Lyon from the Tourist Office there. Maybe something will catch your attention:

http://www.en.lyon-france.com/conten...rchButton.y=22
Apr 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks StCirq for the calendar. that will be very helpful.
the dietary restrictions arent that severe since its for kidney stones. mainly its concerning beverages, hence the question
Apr 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Brandon--

You have the same attitude I had before I'd been to Europe. Hopefully it will change once you see it. So go with an open mind and, most important, open eyes.

Lyon is one of the culinary capitols of the world so you will at least enjoy eating. Pity you don't drink wine!

So just walk around the City, enjoying its various levels and areas. If you see an interesting store or (gasp!) museum, go in and see what there is to be seen. Lyon has a number of very interesting, very small and very specialized museums that may be different from what you've seen in the States. For example, we went to one in an old house where people used to and still weave silk, so we learned about how silk is made--from the worms at the start to the ties at the end. Sounds boring, but it is fascinating.

You don't need to speak French to enjoy it. We don't.
Apr 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

i do drink wine. i just wasn't addressing the question to alcohol. sorry for the misscommunication. we actually have a planned visit to a winery.
Apr 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Good. Lots of good wine around there to go with the good food.

You might enjoy Lyon. It is one of the few places in the world that I would choose to live (even if I had to learn French).
Apr 19th, 2013, 05:33 AM

Hi Brandon
If you think you will have a terrible time, then you most likely will. My first piece of advice is to change what you say about the trip (change "I will not have a good time" to "this is an opportunity to try something new").

Second, be open to new experiences. You may not like soccer, but be open to going to a game if one is available while you are there and if you have the chance ask the person next to you about the game, the teams, the rules, etc. You might end up having a great conversation.

If it's available take a walking tour of the city to get an idea of the layout and where things are. Learn to use the public transportation system so you can easily get around.

Take an interest in people. If you're walking past a shop and you see a craftsman at work, walk in and ask about the work and it is done. The person may or may not be open to conversation.

Definitely work on the French phrases. Start each conversation with bonjour before asking, in French, if they speak English. Even if you're just walking into a shop to look around always greet the person there. Take a phrase book and menu dictionary so you know what you're ordering. If you like to eat, you'll like Lyon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO