Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week in Galicia: Santiago or La Coruna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of spending a week in Galicia in late
August or early Sept. Thinking of basing ourselves either in Santiago to La Coruna and doing some day trips. Will be using public transport only. Would like something relaxing but with plenty of history, places for walking/strolling, sightseeing, restaurants, shops etc.
Any advice? thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Caitrona - in my view, SANTIAGO hands down.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Not even close-Santiago
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:08 PM

For public transport, the network in Santiago is much more convenient than La Coruna.

I have stayed at Santiago for days for several times, always use bus/train for daytrips.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM

BTW, this past March, I had very good tapas several times at a tiny restaurant converted from 2 booths next to Santiago market,
they only offers 6-7 dishes every meal, but all most interestingly prepared. I think the name Abastos 2.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM

There is a hotel we liked very much in Santiago, A Tafona do Peregrino.

It is away from most of the usual tourist sites, it is modern and stylish.

We secured the rooms through Bookings.com.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/a-ta...c93350c8db1X51
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Staying in Santiago is okay, if you are visiting Santiago. If you are looking at doing some day trips, then you need to stay outside of the city, either north, toward A Coruna, or south, toward Pontevedra. If nothing else, I would spend four days north of Santiago and three to the south.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your really helpful replies!
Would late August or early September be a better time to go?
Caitriona.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM

I live in Galicia and can give you some advice.
First question is; What to do mean by better?
You do not say where you are travelling from; where is that?
What are your interests?

With out knowing your answers to these my first thoughts is to suggest you split your time. The 2 cities are just over 30 mins apart (by train or bus).
A Coruña is better for shopping than SdC. It also has better areas for you to take a promenade.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM

I agree, I'd split time between both and I would go in August instead of Sept.

Galicia is one of the best gems in Europe in the summer ( and we have been exploring Europe extensively for 5 years, so have seen it all).

I've written quite a bit about it

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/0...go-de-com.html

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/0...us-galici.html

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/0...ful-beach.html

Highly suggest this place for a great meal if you are headed that way

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/10/post.html

The lace and pottery is something worth seeing ( and maybe bringing home)

p://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/10/lace-pottery-in.html

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM

"and we have been exploring Europe extensively for 5 years, so have seen it all" Really? Quite interesting...
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 05:25 AM

@Robert2533 HA! Well, not literally ALL, of course, just a short cut way to say it, but we have seen much more of it than most well traveled Europeans..because we have had the time and inclination to slow travel and explore from one place to another.

We've been on an open ended world trip the last 5 years so have been to 42 countries on 5 continents..most of the first 4 years were in Europe. I also lived in Europe for a year when I was younger and have been to about 80 countries on my own.

We're back again this summer to see more ( and will return again to places we love... like this is our 14th time to Barcelona I think..usually staying a month at a time or so) and plan to keep coming back to Europe as there is always more to explore.

In my humble opinion, Galicia (in summer) is one of the great ( and uncrowded) gems of Europe that most sadly miss...and it is a lot more than just Santiago.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:48 AM

From WTnow blog reagrding Santiago:

Today, many do the pilgrimage by bike tour (funny to see them piled in special vans with trailers), a few by horse, some by foot, but most do it by bus or car.

Modesty and more than a prefucntionary explanation of sites and their histories would go a long way to achieving popularity for your blog. But then, most blogs are nothing more than self-indulgences, which is what the pilgrimage is supposed to counter.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I was wondering if August would be too hot and crowded or if September would be too cool/rainy..!

The idea of splitting the week is a great one because I was a bit worried that a full week would be too long in either of them. We're flying from Ireland and there is only flight a week. As I mentioned at the top, interests are history, relaxation, culture, shops, walking/strolling, and a swim on a beach wouldn't go amiss either.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM

The North coast of Galicia would never be too hot, think of Ireland plus a few extra degs. The south can be a bit hotter. Having said that the weather is totally unpredictable.
I will post later with some ideas for you to look at as it is late. and I need to get up for work.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Ribe

Wasn't two summers ago extremely hot?

Santiago can get crowded during the summer, especially when there is a Holy Year.

Many Gallegos go to Malpica for the beach and you will not find many from foreign coutnries there. And there is also a beautiful beach a ferry ride away from Vigo called Iles de Cies. The ferry is a bit expensive which means the beach is never really overcrowded.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Aduchamp1

I wasn't talking about getting a "Compostela" or certificate or being an "official" pilgrim. Neither is the op. One does not need a Compostela to enjoy Santiago or Galicia.

I thought the pilgrimage was more about learning about loving and kindness.

I also said in that post:

"We too, feel like pilgrims in our own way, as a family can not take a journey like this without great dedication and trust or without learning more about one's soul. We do not need to walk or bike to Santiago or around the world, to connect to the essence of such a journey."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnqpoELmDbM

Sorry you do not like blogs, but that is okay, they are not meant for everyone and you don't have to read them. Peace! God bless you!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I'm very partial to Santiago, dont like Coruna that much. I have stayed in Santiago for 4 -5 days at a time and done day trips to Pontevedra, Finisterre, coruna and the rias ( in diferent trips).
If you're looking for a hotel in Santiago we loved the Costa Vella ( but it doesnt have A/c).
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:18 AM

Re the beach temps..It happened last year too and so far we have had some good weather...but as I said all of that can change.
A lot of hotels in Galicia do not have Air co. The nights are usually fresher so one can sleep a lot better than some parts of Spain.
There are many places one can see but the OP can only use public transport I am going to suggests that they contact the tourist office in SdC to find out if the organised tours on their web site are in English ( I assume that they do not speak too much Spanish)
http://www.santiagoturismo.com/centr...ultados/ca:196
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM

If you do decide on Santiago de Compostela, I second JudyC's recommendation of Abastos. I ate there twice and loved it. Very creative dishes and a warm (also insanely cute) staff.