A visit to Domodossola?

Search

A visit to Domodossola?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A visit to Domodossola?

I tried to find info on this by searching, but there wasn't much. Anyway, Domodossola is part of our travel plans due to a friend's family ties there. I have read about the trains (and do plan to do the trip from Domodossola to Locarno) but have heard very little about the actual town. Anyone know anything? Is it worth a visit? My guidebooks are conflicting on the matter.

Thanks!
Jackie
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:27 AM

It certainly didn't make a distinct impression on me when we drove there a few years ago during a week's stay in Stresa. All I recall was the large number of umbrella shops and a rather dingy supermarket.

On the other hand, the drive between Stresa and Domodossola was scenic and interesting, with lots of local people carrying enormous baskets of grapes on their backs up and down incredibly steep hillsides.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:30 AM

The town is not much but the village of St. Maria Maggiore jusr east of there is charming---The Cento Valli train will also take you there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:55 AM

I haven't seen it myself, since I was just in and out of town on a train connection, but I've heard there's a fantastic open air market on specific days of the week.

The Centovalli train is fantastic.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone (and bob, for the town idea). I am excited about the train ride thing to Locarno, but since we will be spending time (per forza) in Domodossola, wanted to know. And to think Rough Guide said it was a charming enough stop, and then Lonely Planet went and said it was horrible and didn't even mention the train ride to Locarno.

Thanks again!
Me
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:19 AM

If you have any flexibiltiy in your travels try to pick a clear day for the Centovalli train. I too heard wonderful things about the train ride and we planned our trip to take it but we were disappointed. It might have been the low clouds but I have been on many nicer train rides.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:42 AM

I, too, was disappointed in the Centovalli ride, and I had a clear day. This was last August, during the drought, so I'm sure rivers and waterfalls were less dramatic than usual. I was sitting on the left side of the train, and I think that's the best side for the first part of the ride, but I think the right side may be better for the later part. I can't be sure of that because the train was full and I couldn't change sides, but the left side was kind of dull after the first hour or so.

I was planning to take the ferry back to Stresa, and found that the schedule forced me to stay in Locarno for four hours. Those were the most boring four hours I've ever spent in Europe. It's true I hadn't really prepared myself for the time in Locarno, but just wandering around looking for sites of interest didn't produce much. I understand there are some interesting castles nearby, so I suggest you read up on the Locarno area and see if you can work the castles into your day.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I really enjoyed the centovalli train ride. Since it is going between Switzerland and Italy, be sure to have your passport with you. I have seen the border guards come on and check and I have even seen them kick off some elderly German tourist that were going for a hike and didn't have their passports.