Transportation in/from Eindhoven

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get a cheap flight to Germany (destination Muenster) and found a great price on a ticket to Eindhoven, Netherlands. Can anyone tell me more about this area? Does anyone know how the train or bus connections are from here to Germany? How is the airport and can one come to the train station easily? Would it be a town worth staying in for a night?

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:30 AM

www.bahn.de shows an hourly 3:21 train trip with 2 connections. Fast train to Venlo on the border, then a slow train to Viersen and another slow train to Münster.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Is there anything worth seeing in Eindhoven?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM

Eindhoven is an industrial town that is filled with Philips plants. It's a technically strong area because of the University there and its proximity to Utrecht. I made many trips there for business in the past few years. The thing I enjoyed most was it's 1.5 hour train ride to Amsterdam.

Not much to see other than an interesting little downtown area with a big Cathedral. There's a few great Italian restaurants. Good train connections. I don't think I'd spend a night there if I didn't have to.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Grasshopper, I think that's an unfair assessment. We also spend a lot of time in the Eindhoven area and thoroughly enjoy it. But you do need a car to make the most out of a visit there. The village of Oerle, near Eindhoven, is charming and home to the largest parrot and other bird refuge in Europe (www.papegaai.org). It draws visitos from several countries. A 17th century windmill sits on the outskirts of the refuge. Oerle also has a friendly restaurant that often throws wild parties on week-ends. There are several nice biking and hiking paths in the Eindhoven area, too.