Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A question for anyone who has used Michael Osman in Paris

Jun 29th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I have a day lined up with Michael Osman for my trip to Paris this fall and have a couple of questions. I have never used a private/self employeed tour guide before so I am unsure about tipping. Is it expected since he sets his own fees? What about meals and entrance fees?
Thank you for any guidance you can give me.
Judy
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM

We've used Michael several times. We always buy lunch and pay his entrance fees. His fee is so inexpensive that if we have a larger group , we do give him a small tip. It is not expected but is appreciated.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM

we spent a day with him in 2004 and we did pay for his lunch. We didnt go into any sights that charged a fee, so no answer for you there. I believe we tipped 20 euro for the day...it was my hubby and I
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers. He is certainly inexpensive and gets such rave reviews. I am really looking forward to my day with him, even if I do poop out early.
Judy
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM

What does he charge?
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I don't know this guide, but if he is self-employed, I'm not sure why you would tip him. You tip someone who works for someone else, is my belief. If you've agreed on a rate, then that's what's expected.
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM

I agree with that, I think it very odd to tip someone who is setting his own rates, but people obviously do. Maybe it's a clever marketing gimmick, you know -- he figures he gets enough out of tips that he doesn't need to raise his fees, but his low fees make people hire him in the first place. Sort of makes sense.

There is a cult about his fees, I don't get it, people don't want to say what they are but I find that odd, also -- he's either professional and has a rate per hour or he doesn't. I don't know if he swears people to secrecy or this is a self-induced secrecy, or if people think he charges differently based on whether he likes you or not or what, so they don't want to say or people will be jealous of them. I'm a consultant and charge everyone the same rate per hour. All I know is that I think he is really cheap compared to other guides, definitely less than 100 euro an hour (in fact, I seem to remember what he was charging amounted to only about 10-15 euro an hour or something really low). Even if he had a different rate by time of year (I might charge more in the winter) or for doing something that was more research or work, you'd think folks could give a reasonable range.

IN any case, if you want to hire him and are even considering a private guide, he will not be too expensive for you, I know that much.
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM

I don't recall what he charged when Jamikins spent the day with him, but it was definitely worth whatever the price was...plus a tip.
Michael is a fantastic guide and his knowledge of Paris is incredible - for him, it's a bit of a side business that he does mainly because he really enjoys showing people around the city he loves.
When I tip people, it's because they've provided service over and above what I had expected - Michael definitely fits that description, and thus I wouldn't hesitate to tip.
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Thats very odd, I dont know why someone wouldnt tell you how much he charged...I think he charged us 75 euro for the day...and it was a full day, 9-10 hours. Its been 3 years so I might be a bit off, but I think thats what it was
Jun 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Michael has finally raised his rates from 75 euro to 100 euro (we told him he should 5 years ago!). He is worth more than 100! He is easily worth the 100 and more!
Jun 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM

We've used Michael several times and, as of April, he was charging 100 Euros PER DAY. I think the reason people would rather not say is that, as an independent contractor, he has the freedom to raise his prices at any time and news on this board gets old very quickly. I only mention it now because the poster above me already did so.

We bought his lunch, but had no entrance fees. We tipped him 10Euros each time.

He's a wonderful guide who relates to all ages (one trip we had our mid-30's daughter and son and our 13 and 10 year old grandsons--everyone was crazy about Michael!)

He'll stay with you as long as you like, so your day can be very long, if you wish.

He's terrific!
Jun 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM

COULD YOU LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET INTOUCH WITH MICHAEL OSMAN?

THANKING YOU INA ADVANCE
MORGAN1
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
mjs

We used Michael about 6 or 7 years ago and his rates were very inexpensive and we did pay for his lunch. Do not remember anything about fees but would have no problems with paying that as well.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Sheesh! I hope he has another lucrative job as his mainstay! 100 euros a day (for an 8- to 10-hour day) is nothing!

I've never taken a tour with him, but I met him in the lobby of one of Paris Perfect's apts. I was staying in last year and he certainly was charming.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM

He is friend and one of the sweetest men you can meet. He's so busy with the tours that he rarely has time to paint, (his real love)
Jun 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM

We've spent the day with Michael Osman twice. His fee is for the entire day, as early as you want to start until as late as you care to be out.

We paid for his lunch and invited him to join us for dinner - he is so charming and interesting and chock full of tips, recommendations and information. We paid him a bit extra as well.
Jun 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Morgan, clicking on your name I see others have mentioned to you on your other posts that typing in all caps is like shouting. May I suggest that you post without using all caps..you do know how to do that I assume. If you don't just click your "caps lock" button, thank you.
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. You were very helpful.
And, yes, he is currently charging 100E for the day - a tremendous bargain even with lunch, admit fees and tip!!

Judy
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:19 AM

In October 2006 we (a group of five couples) spent a delightful day with Michael.

His fee was 100 E and we tipped him 50 E. In addition, we bought lunch and drinks at Harry's Bar at the end of the day.

Margan--Michael's e-mail address is [email protected].

Byrd