A Po River Cruise

Search

A Po River Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Po River Cruise

My wife and I are going on a Po River Cruise at the end of the summer. I am beginning to research the area and am wondering if anyone has gone on such a cruise and would be willing to share their experience and advice?
Thank you.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:21 AM

which line are you taking and which river boat?

We did a cruise on the RHINE river on the MS Cezanne==from Arles to Lyon--
It was terrific...Since that cruise, the MS Cezanne II has come into being and is fabulous---it was supposed to be doing the PO River cruise....

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM

I'd like to know this answer since I'm doing it August 1st!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:24 PM

I was saw the thread, but I thought it was a cruise for po' people.

Sorry.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I'm not much of one for cruises, and this is strictly second hand information, but clients of mine are avid cruise people. They've done river cruises all over Europe, including the Danube, the Rhine and Mosel, and several canal trips in France. They raved about the Po cruise as the best -- mainly because of the stops for the architecture and the scenery. I was surprised by that, but they really loved it.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:23 PM

oberost-

This is the link I was looking for you-this boat is great:

DISCOVER THE HIDDEN DELIGHTS OF ITALY'S PO RIVER Travel with Culinary Tour Guide and Professional Chef Michele Topor to learn how Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale are made. Visit local markets, participate in regional wine and olive oil tastings. Your journey will begin in Venice onboard the luxurious River Cloud II. May 30 to June 10, 2003 For Information: email: [email protected] Visit our website: http://www.northendmarkettours.com.

If you don't want to go with the group,you can still look into going on the RIVER CLOUD II
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:10 AM

I have not been on the Po river cruise myself, but my friend went on the River Cloud II last summer. She was very disappointed. While the ship was gorgeous and all that, she said that it was more like a bus tour than a cruise. She led me to understand that the ship travels a very short distance overnight, then ties up at a port, and the passengers do bus trips into the interior every day. Not what she expected.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Athena is right. It shows how different people appreciate different things. My friends described it the same way -- short travel, but trips into the interior every day. That's why they liked it the most. It's not a cruise for sitting on the deck of a boat and watching scenery pass for days on end!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 12:28 PM

oberost-

What Athena said is true- that is the reason for taking a river cruise- it is slower, very relaxing, usually filled with great Europeans to talk to, open seating dining with small lounge--Not at all like a HUGE mega cruise....

Staterooms are as large as a normal cruise and the RIVER CLOUD II is great...

Just make sure you do not book thru UNIGLOBE-- as they gear their cruises more to senior's--

You can get in touch with a river cruise company in NY called ELEGANT RIVER CRUISES.COM and they can help you.
( NO , I am not affiliated with them- but I did use them to book my cruise on the MS Cezanne)....

The scenery on these rivers is KILLER terrific!! And yes, You have the OPTION of the bus tours to several excursions..but you can also just wander off into the various towns on your own--( then it does NOT feel like a bus tour)...

But we LOVED it...we went to a truffle farm and winery for tasting on one of our excursions, then went to Le Beau ( a great hillside village) plus various other excursions...and sometimes we did NOTHING but wander thru the town..THIS was all on the RHONE RIVER cruise.

There is something for everyone on these cruises...