A Most Gracious & Honest Innkeeper

Jun 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

A Most Gracious & Honest Innkeeper

American Airlines has canceled all flights between JFK and Stansted. AA unilaterally placed on a flight from Heathrow leaving 8:30 AM When I asked to speak to a human in customer service, they said there was none I could only communicate by e-mail.

For our layover from Spain to JFK, we were to spend one night at B & B near Stansted called Larchmead Bed & Breakfast. When told of this little tale of woe, they were honest and gracious enough to warn about traveling M25 at rush hours and advised to stay near Heathow.

It is a pleasure to speak to highly of strangers.

I have since changed the flight to 11:30 AM.

We will arriving at Stansted at at 12:40, PM, the day before. Should be look for rooms in London and head for the airport in the morning or should find something near Heathrow and travel in London for a meal and a quick walk?

I understand a taxi from Central London to Heathrow is now about 50 Euros, is that correct?

Thank you all.
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM

it is nice you posted about the good service you got from the Larchmead B&B. But your title really has nothing to do w/ your question.

Anyway "Should be look for rooms in London and head for the airport in the morning or should find something near Heathrow and travel in London for a meal and a quick walk?" -- It really doesn't make sense to go from Stansted to LHR, check in to a hotel, and then travel in to London and back. Just too much to-ing and fro-ing.

I'd travel by train in to London from Stansted and get a hotel either along the Piccadilly tube line (direct tube to LHR) - or - near Paddington. Paddington is the station w/ trains to LHR.

Me personally - I'd stay along the Piccadilly line and just take the tube to the airport -- IF you can handle your luggage. If you have too much luggage - then I'd pre-book a car service for the trip to Heathrow.

What I would NOT do is take a cab to Heathrow . . . . .
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM

If understand things correctly, you are arriving in London (Stanstead) at 12.40 pm and departing from Heathrow the following day at 11.30 am. I would definately not stay at a hotel near Heathrow, I would stay in central London and then use a car service to transport you to Heathrow airport. A car service will cost less than a taxi.

When I was in London a few months ago I paid GBP 30 for a car service to Heathrow.
Jun 5th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice
Jun 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM

National Express coaches run frequently between Stanstead & Heathrow www.nationalexpress.com & you can get the Hotel Hoppa bus to a hotel Holiday Inn is quite near.