A general question

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A general question

I've read many posts on this website. I realize that many answers to inquiries come from professionals with vast travel experience. I have acquired necessary info from this site many times prior to traveling. I haven't seen anything about 'Bad' cruises/tours or what to do about them. I've been trying to get some answers to my complaint about poorly prepared food from a Major River Cruise line with no luck. As part of the same cruise, we had our flight from Dulles cancelled and had to rent a car and drive home after a long, long flight from Europe without an offer of help or assistance from the airline, after waiting for 5 hours for the flight. Now our Travel Agent has been 'dragging anchor' as far as getting a refund from the Airline or Insurance Company. We are getting rather frustrated. Any advice/ideas?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:16 AM

Perhaps you should post your question in the Cruises forum?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM

Re-post on the Cruises forum, and give your topic a more specific title so people will know what the issue is. Good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM

Don;t think you will get any help on poorly prepared food (except to tell people here what the cruise was) since unles people got food poisioning this is too subjective.

As for a cancelled flight and car rental expenses to get home - if your TA isn;t doing anything about this take it out of his/her hands and deal with the insurance company yourself. (And don;t use that TA again.)
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM

OK...I'm going to be a bit more blunt than my felklow posters seem willing to be with you:

I'm sorry but your genralized outline as to the events which occurred is entirely too generalized for anyone here to give you any real sage advice IMO.

First of all, you need to be more specific than saying "a Major Cruise Line." What's with that? The fact that you won't divulge the name arouses suspicion, at least in my own mind.

Second, poorly prepared food is about as subjective as it gets and I think right now you can forget about any compensation for that one which is laughable unless you can make a health endangerment case (and if your TA didn't tell you this..or DID they??????) they should have.

Third, your flight was cancelled but you do not say why (which could make a big difference) and then you say you "had" to rent a car and drive home....you are saying that there was absolutely no other transportation available or that what was available was not acceptable to you? Entirely too many questions on this piece of it.

Fourth, your TA is either unwilling to discuss things in detail and hoping you'll just fade into oblivion or is truly incompetent by not telling you you either do or do not have a leg to stand on.

Sorry, that's the way I see this whole thing and if that sounds rude well have a nice day anyway.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM

By "poorly prepared food" you mean several people got food poisoning, you have hospital doctor's note, some documents to support this statement? Or is it just your personal preference was not met?

What about Better Business Beureau? Are there any complaints about this cruise company or about the tour agency?

Can you deal directly with the airline and insurance company? You understand, your agent will not be getting any commissions so this is not her highest priority. I am not on her side, just thinking of your situation.

And do post on the "cruise" section of Fodor's and also on "airlines".
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:31 AM

I don't think from the description that there is anything even owed to you. You didn't like the food, too bad.

You had a flight out of IAD cancelled after some hours of wait. Sounds like a mechanical problem or something, I've certainly had that happen to me. I imagine they said you could fly on their next flight, but you chose to rent a car instead to drive home. I've had that happen to me, and they don't owe you anything if that is what happened -- you voluntarily choosing to drive because you didn't want to wait for their fligth substitution.

Anyway, airfare isn't part of a cruise, so that part can't be possible.

If you have insurance that guarantees payment based on some travel delay of five hours, then I think you might be due compensation for that one. I think some travel policies do have things like that in them. If yours really does cover that, then why don't you file a claim yourself if it's your policy? Is your travel agent just lazy and incompentent (why did you use them?) or did they tell you they you had no claim that would be covered?