A Few Questions about Prague

May 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

A Few Questions about Prague

Any answer to these questions would be greatly appreciated:

- Best places to exchange money in Prague? Any legitimate place in the airport to do this?

- What should the taxi cost for a ride from the airport to Old Town Prague?

- How hard would it be to take the train to Old Town Prague from the airport?

- Suggested things to do in Prague besides the obvious (the Castles, Charles Bridge, Clock tower) ?

- Best places to eat for the price?
May 13th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Any ATM machine is the best place to get CZK. ATM machines are legitimate.

I doubt you can take the train from the airport to Old Town. You would first have to go from the airport to the train station and then take a tram. It wouldn't be very difficult.

Things to do:
Mucha Museum
Municipal House
Churches

Taxi fares will depend on traffic. Probably about 600 to 800 CZK.
May 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure the train runs from the airport. I don't remember seeing a train station there. You could take a city bus to the bus station and then a tram. But I would just take a car service or taxi. If you can afford to stay in Old Town then you can afford a taxi fare IMHO. I can recommend Mike's Chauffeur Service that I recently used to go from the bus station to my pension. Mike was great. Others here have used Mike and have recommended him.

www.mike-chauffeur.cz
May 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM

I have a question to ask also ??

Can I use the same electrical plug converter in Prague that I use in France, Austria, Italy, etc???

Also, does the same plug work in Budapest?

Stu Dudley
May 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM

My one lingering negative memory of a wonderful trip to Prague was the sleezy taxi drivers at the train station, and the train station itself. For a truly beautiful city, the train station looks like something in a third world country. It is dirty, dark, and dingy -- still acceptable to transit quickly in and out of.

The real threat is the taxi drivers. There are signs posted in many places that direct you to taxi stands. This gives you the impression that the drivers are somehow "sanctioned", but it's the "wild, wild west" out there. We were quoted the equivalent of $100 to get to our hotel. When we balked, the price immediately went to half. The hotel turned out to be a mere 5 minutes away in Old Town. A $20 fare would have been too much.

If you decide to take the train from the airport, be sure to check with your hotel ahead of time for a decent taxi fare. If you are fortunate, perhaps you will be in walking distance and won't have to deal with taxis at all!
May 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM

You can use the same adapter in Prague (and in Poland) that you use in France. I just tested the adapters and the same one works. Can't answer about Budapest.
May 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Below is my travel website with photos from Prague 2008.

Take a day trip to Kutna Hora. Also Sedlec Ussuary is nearby Kutna Hora.

Josehov (Jewish Quarter)

Enjoyed Bellavista for food and drinks (Urquell dark on tap) near Strahov Monastery (great view, too)

Orange Moon has terrific Thai food (located between Old Town and Josefov)

Take the funicular up to Petrin Hill. Walk up to the top of the mini Eiffel Tower

Museum of Communism

Noble Club wine cellar in Mala Stana for a nice wine and cheese experience (don't knock the candle off, however)

http://web.me.com/tomfielding1/Tom_%...ague_2008.html

May 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM

- Best places to exchange money in Prague? Any legitimate place in the airport to do this?

ATMs, always. If you have a credit union or can get a CapOne account before you leave, use their cash cards because the fees tend to be lower.

- What should the taxi cost for a ride from the airport to Old Town Prague?

Dunno, check with your hotel re: transfers and arrangements.

- How hard would it be to take the train to Old Town Prague from the airport?

Very. No train takes that route. Prague subway stops are outside the center of Old Town.

- Suggested things to do in Prague besides the obvious (the Castles, Charles Bridge, Clock tower)?

Maitaitom has some good suggestions. I'll second the Commie Museum. A day trip to Karlstein Castle would be easy -- it's 35 km from Prague. Visiting Terezin would also be highly educational -- if you don't know why, google it.

- Best places to eat for the price?

Who knows -- what price are you talking? The restaurant at U Zlatych Nuzek ("At the Golden Scissors") on Kampa Is. was pretty good and so was Reykjavik, which is en route from the Charles Bridge to Old Town Square. Old Town Square restaurants tend to have high prices.
May 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM

And to clarify, no commuter or mainline train goes to Old Town Prague either.
May 14th, 2010, 02:57 AM

There are buses prominently positioned at the airport that take you to one of several outlying metro stops. Once you get on the metro , you can go wherever it goes, - you will need to check the map if it goes to what you think is the "old town"

http://www.dpp.cz/en/
May 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM

I arranged shuttle transport from the airport and was pleased with the service.

http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/
May 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Try LivingPrague.com for great tips from a 'local'.

We had our hotel arrange the transit from the train station (which is, indeed, pretty awful). We had a set price in advance for the cab.
May 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Although things have improved with the taxis, it is still best to stick to reliable companies like AAA (Taxis from the airport are fine). If you get the chance to see Old Town Square or Prague Castle either very late at night or very early in the morning, go for it. They are even more magical than during the day.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/prague_photos.html
May 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Do not change any money anywhere - pull it from an ATM with your debit card - otherwise you are throwing away about 8% of your cash on fees or a bad exchange rate or both.

There is no train at the airport. I would take a taxi to your hotel - contact them and ask what a taxi should cost.

Not to be missed are :

The Ghetto - check out all of the various buidlings (consider a tour)
Architectural tour of the Old Town (you can get a bunch of tours at Town Hall)
Stare Mestro
Several excellent museums
A host of churches, many of which have very good quality musical perfromances
Tour the opera house even if you don;t go to a performance
May 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM

I second the comment from rs899. We took the bus from the airport to the metro station and then the subway to take us to our pension. It was very convenient. We purchased a 3 day card ($11 each) at the airport and used the public transportation to see the sites in Prague and to travel to and from the airport.
May 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM

HI; We took the bus, right in front of the airport. Problem for us was, not knowing exactly were the hotel was. Very enexpensive. E-mail the hotel an see what their thoughts are. As for as converters go, we have a kit from Brookstone that has many different types of plugs. Round leads, flat leads and so on. Works for us. For good information see www.inyourpocket.com Click on Prague and then instant, for a download. Richard
May 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Hi, I will arrive in Prague in four days, so the Q&As are very helpful for me. I also have another question: I realized all tickets for the Prague Spring musical events are sold out (at least the ones I'm interested in). Does anyone know if it's possible to get standing tickets to venues such as Rudolfinum? I don't mind standing for the concert experience there!
May 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM

go for the legitimate taxis
AAA i think or AA ..cant remember but do ask
we were really ripped off when the hotel we were staying at called a cab
not registered
and expensive
someones uncle
charged us a fortune

from then on we asked for the AAA taxis which were fine...

as for the sights]
id get to cesky krumlov for the day...beautiful daytrip
we caught the train from the main station one sunday
it is cheaper to buy the ticket on the morning...we went on the saturday night to check it out and the cashier told us to come back in the morning cos of the price
dirt cheap
..unbelievable

we got the train round 630 am...got to cesky krumlov round ten and left at three
or we couldve left by the 5pm train
was a really worthwhile trip

as for food
try the stoletiye restaurant
if i have the name wrong ..it has something to do with hundred years so ask a local
a lot of hotels will send you to places theyre linked to...so try to ask a local
this restaurant is in the artists district
good food and great ambience
May 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Hi Sarswrld,
I highly recommend visiting the Vysehrad area of Prague. We have been there twice & love it, especially if you are going during the summer when Prague is crowded, because Vysehrad is quieter. It is the spot where Prague began & is located on a hill overlooking the Vlatava River. We enjoy the walk up there & the views. When you reach the top, there is a beautiful small church, Sts. Peter & Paul, and an even more beautiful national cemetery where famous Czechs are buried. There are the remains of an old castle/fort, and you get beautiful views of the city. It's one of our favorite places in Prague.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO