Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A diet watching cholesterol/ Paris & Rome

Sep 13th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Adam

Leaving for these cities (4 days each) this coming Tuesday (Sept 17). Great! I'm looking forward to it. Only little thing that has put a (mild) damper on the prospect is a call from my doctor saying my cholesterol count is a little high (259 - total). This was found during a routine blood work-up, twice verified. You know, I don't really even know exactly what this means, other than "less is better". Basically, what kind/type of foods should I gravitate towards while on vacation? (I have to research more and plan a diet regimine, but honestly there is not time to do that just now)
I like almost eveything; I'm skinny as a string bean - so fat, per se, is not a problem. Thank you for your thoughts.

Sep 13th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Pat

Try to not eat much cheese, butter, or fatty meats. Chocolate also has lots of fat. Go for olives, food prepared in olive oil, drink RED wine, and eat lots of salmon and nuts which are high in the "good" fats. Try to avoid white, as in white rice, bread, potatoes. I'm leaving for France Monday and I am concerned since my cholesterol was 260 and the LDL high. My is now lower since I have done the above. Hope this will help.

Sep 13th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Julie

See if you can find a book called DEFENSIVE DINING: How to Stay Trim and Healthy While Eating in Virtually Any Restuarant by Cheryl Sindell. (She has a website--CherylSindell.com--so you might be able to get it through that or from Amazon.com) It will not only tell you everything you need to know, but will have the translations in French and Italian you can show the waiter! Highly recommend it!

Sep 13th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Betsy

Although, I'm not an MD, I suggest you go to Paris and Rome and eat everything you enjoy, but in moderation. Eight days of this will probably not make a bit of difference in your cholesterol levels. Life is WAY to short to visit these cities and deprive yourself of all the wonderful foods there.

Pat, the fat in chocolate is vegetable fat, so is cholesterol-free. Just checked the label on a bag of chocolate chips to be certain.

Bon appetit
Buon apetito (is that correct?)

Sep 13th, 2002, 09:30 PM
zash

I'm surprised that your Doctor didn't prescribe Lipitor or Zoccor for you. It should lower your cholesterol level dramatically....( raising hdl and lowering ldl).... in combination with a low fat diet that others have mentioned.

Sep 14th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Monosaturated is Good

I'm not sure why Pat said to avoid white rice, bread & potatoes as none of these are high in saturated fats (perhaps he/she is geting mixed up with the low carb diet?) However the advice about salmon, olive oil, red wine, nuts (almods are great!) is very good. Don't get too hung up I went to France 12 months ago & ate more cheese & eggs in a month than I had in my whole entire life (Slight exaggeration ;-) ) & still managed to get to get my cholesterol down without medication throughout the year.

Sep 14th, 2002, 01:42 PM
peter

259 is not just a little high- it is really now not acceptable. the ideal is 150 with a good ratio which you did not mention what yours was. try to avoid to much salami and processed meats. watch the cream sauces on pasta and limit the amount of the more fatty meats. you can eat some if they are not to fatty. grilled is better than roasted in sauce. if you watch the amounts of fats then you can eat fairly normally but when you get bact you need to get an appointment with your doctor and discuss your diet and some drugs like lipator are indicated. being skinny has nothing to do with high cholesterol and you couold be in definite danger of a cardiovascular event in the future if this is not corrected

Sep 14th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Carmen

Hi Adam!
The advices given by previous posters are really good!
I've got a 150 cholesterol level, not following any low cholesterol diet but eating typical Mediterranean food. I'll explain it:

DO EAT: Vegetables, fruit, rice, pasta, beans, fish, cereals, low-fat meats (turkey, chicken), nuts.

ESPECIALLY RECOMMENDED: Blue fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), olive oil, 1 glass of red wine a day. They help reduce "bad" cholesterol while increase "good" cholesterol.

AVOID: Red meat, eggs, cream, pastries, anything with butter in it. Only cook with olive oil, prefer grilled, baked or steamed food. Fast and precooked foods are forbiden. Only dressing for salads: a tablespoon of olive oil and vinegar or yogourth.

I also agree with 259 being way too much. Above 200, it's recommended to start worrying about your cholesterol level and how to reduce it.

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Pierre

One thing your MD should give you is detailed explanation of your Lipid Profile results. 259 might sound like a high number, but not knowing what is the HDL/LDL ratio and the triglycerides #, is pretty hard to express an educated opinion. Your HDL (good cholesterol) could be really high, which is good, and that accounts for an elevated total cholesterol reading. You might want to call your MD and express your concerns. In the other hand the LDL (bad) could be high and that is not good. Enjoy your vacation and worry about your diet, exercise and statins when you get back home. As for Peter Rabbitt, 150 is not the threshold for normal Total Cholesterol, try the AHA guidelines first and educated others later.

Sep 14th, 2002, 10:56 PM
xxx

Pierre has a good point. Last time I had my cholesterol done, the total score seemed a little high (190), but then it turned out my "good cholesterol" measurement was 85, a level the doctor said was high enough to be "cardioprotective."

Sep 15th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Myer

You appear to be going on a relatively short trip. Don't ruin it by starting a diet on the trip.

You've been damaging yourself for quite a while.

Conversley, 259 is not considered a 'little' high. Eat a lot of fish foods and you'll be surprised how it may lower your cholesterol level. There have been many aritcles written about that being the best single remedy.

I try to avoid medication as there are usually other side effects.

Yes the other things like a high HDL count. The person who wrote about the red wine appears to deal with it this way. It has not been proven. Most agree that there is nothing you can do other than increasing physical excersize to raise the HDL level.

While it is not really agreed upon what effect a high triglyceride level does, it's generally agreed that it should be below 150-200.

Everybodies body is different. Being skinny does not guarantee good lab results. However, if you are lucky, you are in that middle ground where a change in diet could make a difference.

Wait until you come back to change.

Sep 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
peter

pierre look again at the latest recommendations for total cholesterol. they used to shoot for 200 but the absolute latest is 150 for total count. yes the ratio will influence the protective effects but they soon are to recommend that everyone try for 150 and this will probably mean the use of some chemical intervention like lipitor . genetics will influence your count and for some the only way to really reduce the total will be with chemical help. maybe you should be more aware of the latest before you critize others who know better