A couple more Rome questions..

Sep 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

A couple more Rome questions..

Hi, just a few more questions for Rome plz.

1) What's a good site to find apartment rentals? Looking for a 2 bedroom place.

2) I'll be traveling with a female friend. Are there any dress-code requirements for women, as far as museums, basilicas, chapels, etc. (Including Vatican City attractions)?

3) Are there any flea-market type places to shop for pottery, art prints, etc.?

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks, Greg
Sep 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM

1. Check www.slowtrav.com for apartments.
2. Yes, for women and men. No shorts. Pants/skirts must be at least knee length. No tank tops (women must have shoulders covered). Dress code sign on pic in link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/warg2/544332109/

3. Are you only going to be in Rome? Other areas might be better for pottery.
Sep 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I suggest an advanced search ("Search the Forums" above) for the many threads on apartments in Rome.

The dress-code-for-churches subject has been endlessly discussed (and many times debated) on numerous threads. I'll just quote Fodor's 2010 Italy guide: "A certain modesty of dress (no bare shoulders or knees) is expected in churches and strictly enforced in many." This applies to both men and women.

Try the Porta Portese market in Trastevere (Sunday only).
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM

1) VRBO.com I also suggest searching the Europe board for "rome" and "apartment". There are hundreds of recommendations on here.
2) as stated by kybourbon. Just tell your lady friend to bring a shawl or "wraparound". She can use it to cover her shoulders when necessary or her knees (if she is wearing shorts, she can wrap it around like a skirt). Works great and is only one additional article of clothing to pack.
3) Again, search this board for markets in Rome. I noticed in the back of my DK Eyewitness travel guides, they list shopping and markets. So, head to Barnes and Noble or Borders and find the travel section. Browse through the travel guides and pick one that suits you.

Buon viaggio! You will love Italy!
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I will be checking those links soon. I've heard the summer heat can be stifling - true? I'm debating between leaving May 25, as opposed to mid-June. My only concern about going end of May is that some things may not open till June. Any thoughts? Greg
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM

If you have the tiem, take a day trip to Orevieto. They have great little pottery shops.
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon, do you know any 'pottery towns' that would be doable as a day-trip from Rome? Thanks
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM

That should be Orvieto, not Orevieto.
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Heat can be stifling in Roma by May.
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Make sure you and your female friend are completely covered for St. Peter's.

I just returned from Rome and by 11 AM the line to get into the church was unbelievable. You have to go through a security checkpoint and place your things into an x-ray machine. It is then that you walk along and encounter the FASHION POLICE.

It would be absolutely horrid if you stood in line for one hour or more and then be told that you were improperly dressed.

A well-groomed woman in a beautiful long sundress was turned away because her shoulders were bare. I could tell that she took the time to make herself look fabulous, but she overlooked those bare shoulders.

The fashion police are also in force at Maria Maggiore and the church that houses Michelangelo's Moses.

There is a clothing market off of Via Depretis near Maria Maggiore. Shoes, belts, bags, that sort of thing.

Thin
Sep 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Everyone's dress code advice is very good, so I guess I won't repeat it. As for markets, Porta Portese on Sunday morning! It's an odd mix of excellent shopping, crappy shopping, great souvenirs, bric a brac, and all manner of gypsy based madness. But I got like 4 wonderful winter coats there for less than E20 and still have them, as well as half the stuff in my house, so it's an experience not to be missed. The farmers market in Campo de' Fiori is nice too, and a great place to souvenir shop and eat fresh cherries There are also guys who set up shop around the Trionfale market (fresh market near the Vatican), the metro stop Cipro, and the Eur Fermi metro stop, and they're usually there until about 7pm.

As for apartments? www.leisureinrome.com

They always take care of my guests and have some fabulous deals, English speaking staff, and are amazingly helpful, so I highly recommend them. Plus they don't use the bait and switch tactic, and that's also a positive sign.
Sep 26th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Hi there

first of all there are many good website for flat, such as Lodjee for example ( http://www.lodjee.com/rome ) we tried it last time we went to Paris and I know that they also do Rome. They are organised and fast.
Here are some details for markets. Enjoy !
Look at this website and all the information about markets in Rome : http://www.aboutroma.com/markets-rome.html
I reckon for a female, long sleeves and trousers would be preferable.
Have a nice holidays !
Sep 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM

We always do Italy in May - much better than June and everything will be open. It will be warm but not hellish, long days and not as many tourists as later in the year.
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Antique print and book dealers set up shop every day in Piazza Fontanella Borghese (short walk from the Spanish Steps) On our last visit to Rome, we bought a Renaissance-era reproduction map of Rome (unframed) after some bargaining with the dealer.
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that's a lot of markets. Will def keep me busy for a while, lol. Where do Italians buy wine for dinner - is it sold at supermarkets?