Dressing for Rome in May

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dressing for Rome in May

We are traveling to Rome, Venice and Florence in mid-May. I am curious about what to pack. I don't expect we'll be visiting many upscale restaurants but more the trattorias and cafes. I'm wondering what the average person is wearing as they walk about visiting museums, enjoying cafes and markets? I keep hearing that the Italians dress nicely, but what does the average 38 year old wear in May 2004?

Thanks for your input!!

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 12:52 PM

I've never been, so I can't give you much insight, but I know there are a TON of threads already on this topic (and some people get quite mean when they have to read the same question more than once ;-)). Do a search on Rome and Clothes at the top, and you should see quite a few threads.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM

We are also heading to Italy in Mid May for a Honeymoon and I'm hoping I can get away with a pair of jeans and slacks for evenings and shorts and T-Shirts and polos for the day. I like to pack light and hope I can get away with no jacket. How long will you be in Italy?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM

We were there in May 2003. The weather was unusually warm, I wish I had taken more capris or a skirt. Tank tops with sweaters to throw over are perfect for most places. Be sure to take comfortable shoes (like you wouldn't already know that!).
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM

As someone who lived in Florence, I highly recommend skirts that are about knee length. If you pack a couple in neutral colors (stone, khaki, navy, or black) you can accessorize with sweaters, tops, twinsets, blouses, scarves in many colors. You can also be comfortable temperature-wise, and know you'll be complying with dress codes like the one in St. Peter's Basilica.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:05 PM

I would say it all really depends on your style. Italians have great taste and dress in the latest fashions. They do tend to dress up more, meaning that they wear good quality, fashionable clothes. They don't wear as many screaming bright colors in the spring as we do in the US. Black is always in style.

Also, Italians don't tend to wear shorts. If you do, it is like wearing a sign on your head that says "tourist." Maybe you don't mind that. You should also know that Italians don't wear much in the way of sweat pants, t-shirts (unless they are designer/high quality) or those types of sporty looks (such as all of those clothes with Nike, etc. plastered across the front) that so many people in the US wear. That is all more casual than people in Italy tend to be, with the exception of teenagers.

You will find that Florence is a bit more fashion conscious than Rome, but in both cities people are fairly dressed up. Venice is a tad more casual.

Another thing to be aware of is that many of the churches do not let you in if you are wearing shorts or a sleeveless top.

I find that when traveling to Italy, I pack a lot of black because it looks dressier and doesn't get as dirty. Even in the spring. I usually take fashionable pairs of jeans and black pants, a black skirt and then I mix and match tops with those.

Have a great time. Italy is the most wonderful country in the world!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Italian adults don't wear shorts except at beach resorts. Their clothing tends to be higher fashion and better quality than ours - they have fewer clothes but spend more for each item. And although they have some things that are tendy - they also have a lot of clasic things that last for years.

You won't be allowed in churches if you're wearing shorts or a sleeveless or low cut top. It's considered to be disrespectful. Youwon;t be kept out of anyplace else - but will look out of place at nicer restaurants in any city or town.

I usually do slacks (cotton or linen) during the day with shirts or tunics - but for the evening take 3/4 dresses or silk pants outfits with a better pair of shoes (but cute flats to allow for walking on all the cobblestones).

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:58 PM

I think the Italian police arrest any tourists who wear shorts when it is below 85 degrees and also those that don't have long, firm, deeply tanned legs.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:57 AM

I am curious on this question as well. Are sandal's ok in May? I live in the Midwest, US, so wearing sandal's prior to Memorial Day is not common (although done). For May in Venice, Florence, Rome, I am hoping to wear short sleeve shirts and pants during the day and a light jacket and/or sweater at night. Does that sound right for "average" temperatures? Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Firstly, a 38 year old must dress differently to say a 39 and three quarter year old.

Sandals should only be worn by your traditional Italian Cesar Romero style icons. Americans in sandals, even if they are Prada ones look naff.

Remember that if a birthday were to coincide on your trip you must repost the same question, but this time asking about a 39 year old which would lead to astronomically different answers I am sure.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:29 AM

m_kingdom, are you as nasty and mean spirited as your comments suggest or is it all a big put on? You give new meaning to the term "negative attitude".

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:18 AM

If I see a spade I make sure it is aware that it is a spade.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Maybe you need your eyesight checked if everything looks like a spade to you. What do you do for fun - pull the wings off butterflys?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Back to the questions.

I was in Rome a couple of years ago in May and did not wear short sleeves much, but I get cold easily. It was probably in the upper 60s.

I'll be in Venice and other parts of Northern Italy this year in May and I went to weather.com to check out the temperatures. I suggest you try that. It appears that the high temps in Northern Italy in May are in the high 60s and low 70s. I think it is wise to take a variety because you never know. I will take some sweaters, long sleeves, short sleeves and a jacket.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I was there in May 2003, also. It was quite hot. At least too hot for long pants, even with short sleeved tops.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:12 PM

I have no personal objections to shorts per se, but if you wear them in a city (or village) in Italy, you will be the only person wearing shorts. You can live without a jacket unless it gets chilly.

Posters above are correct in telling you that you will not be allowed in churches wearing shorts (male or female). Light cotton slacks would look fine and be just as comfortable.

Shorts are worn on beaches or for athletic activities at resorts.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:07 PM

I did not mean to suggest shorts- just pointing out that it was very hot.
I have memories of some very sweaty moments. There are many lightweight fabrics and of course, skirts are a great option for women.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM

I think the shorts comments are aimed at Travelbug above who was planning to use them during the day. His choice, but there are problems like not being able to get into churches and perhaps feeling a bit out of place. Some people don't mind being the lone rugged individualist, but if he plans to visit any churches, he needs to realize the restriction.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:50 AM

Hello,
Just returned from Rome on Monday. Don't worry about dressing up. Jeans and tennis shoes are mostly what I saw except for the people going to work and the older Italians that were out strolling. Besides, if you have a map and a camera in your hand, I think you will probably be recognized as a tourist along with hundreds of other people. The weather was beautiful, in the mid to high 60's for the 10 days we were there.
Have a ball, we sure did!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:50 AM
lyb

>> They don't wear as many screaming bright colors in the spring as we do in the US. Black is always in style.<<

Though yes, black is always in style, I have to strongly disagree with the comment that Italians don't wear bright colors. I was there this past July and I have never seen so many people wearing bright colors, lime green, orange, pinks, especially the young people.

I also saw many people who dressed nicely and also a lot of people who dressed awful, and I don't mean tourists! Italians are people and there is nothing in their school curiculum that mandates passing a fashion class before graduating school.

Please people, let's stop being so intimidated by Europeans!!! Be yourself, don't wear shorts and tank tops (which in May would probably be too cold anyway) when visiting churches. Stop worrying so much about clothes, make sure you have a comfortable pair of shoes and enjoy your vacation!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -