Search

A city & hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Jennifer

A city & hotel

My friend and I are traveling back to France again next May. We are going to go to Paris and 2 other cities. We want to go to the Riveria and then another part of the country. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which cities they like (what part of the country it is in) and what nice, but not very expensive hotels are in that particualar city. Thanks

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
sandra

Paris: Hotel Du Danube<BR><BR>Cannes: Hotel Majestic

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:02 AM
lechat

Arles: Hotel Regence (www.hotel-regence.com) -- we paid $40 for a double with 2 *double* beds; very helpful staff<BR><BR>Lyon: Hotel Bayard (www.hotelbayard.com) -- not exactly 'budget' ($80 for a double) but breakfast is included and the location is great; helpful staff<BR><BR>My absolute favorite city is Nice, but all I can tell you about inexpensive hotels there is DO NOT stay at the Hotel Astor. Also, I enjoyed Avignon, but DO NOT stay at Hotel St. Roch.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Mel

I stayed at the Hotel Du Danube last week, based on recommendations from this board. I have to say that we did have a few disappointments (and we're not fussy, believe me). First was that, though I booked directly with them online, which promised a discount, we were quoted 150e. Upon arriving at the hotel, saw the sign showing that as the top "rack" rate--no one pays "rack" rates, but... The room was fine, but a bit worn and nothing special. The shower (and, yes, I know showers are "iffy" anywhere in Europe) was downright dangerous--running hot and cold water in spurts. Finally, we had asked for a courtside room, as many said the street side is noisy. Well, the windows are the old single sash, swing open kind--charming, but doesn't allow for quiet. Several times each night we were awakened by loud bangs. Seems they move the trash cans through the courtyard (though why so many times is still a mystery) and bang the lids open and shut. This also woke the baby sleeping in the room next to ours so that added to the cachophony. As hard as this was on us, I imagine it <BR>was really tough on the mother who had to walk that baby all night.<BR><BR>I love Rue Jacob, but I know there are other hotels in the same--or lower--price range in that area. To be honest, however, I can't say they'd be any better or worse.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Christina

I have liked most cities in France: including Lyon, Strasbourg, Nice, Avignon, and Aix as some major ones outside Paris. I did like the Hotel de l'Europe in Strasbourg as a very nice moderate hotel. I don't have any favorites in the others.<BR><BR>I have no personal opinion on the Danube's quality, but think you misunderstand room rates in Paris, Mel -- you are interpreting "rack rate" as an American hotel concept. You do not have the wide variations in hotel rates in Paris as you do in the US, depending on when you book, through room, who you talk to that day, what club you belong to, etc. The rates posted on the doors are the official rates and barring minor glitches from dates, that is generally what you pay, the vast majority of the time. I have only paid less than that in real discounted off-season periods. Some very large hotel chains that book with tours and packages or that have foreign owners sometimes offer discounts, but not your typical small to moderate-sized French hotel. However, if you have information to the contrary, I would be interested in knowing where you got your information that "no one" pays the official posted rate in Parisian 2-star hotels?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:35 AM
cheryl

Rue Jacob is very nice. On this street are about 3-4 highly recommended hotels but Mel and I have experienced a less than satisfactory stay at two of these hotels-mine was Hotel d'Angleterre. <BR><BR>It seems as though your satisfaction depends on what room you're assigned to-for some they get not so great rooms while other get the best ones.