Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A central place to stay between Amsterdam and Brugge

Oct 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I have been trying to plot an itinerary for a trip to visit my daughter in the Netherlands. I have looked at Vacation Rentals by owner and found decent rates for the Belgium portion of the trip but overly expensive tiny accomodations in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is appearing to be really expensive even in February so I beginning to think I should look at a ten day vacation rental in a central location that would give us easy access by rental car to Amsterdam, southeast Netherland, Brussels, Ghent and Brugge. Any thoughts on a city or town that I might look into? Thank you!
Oct 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Utrecht perhaps. Or a bit more to the south: Den Bosch (also known as "'s Hertogenbosch") or Breda.

As for driving a rental into Amsterdam, I would reconsider that if I where you. Usually it's faster, cheaper (parking is *very* expensive in Amsterdam!) and more convenient to go by train.
Oct 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Try Delft!
Oct 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I am hearing that driving could be a bit of a night mare. What about outside of Amsterdam. We will go from Amsterdam area to Well Netherlands and on to Brugge
Oct 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Here's another vote for Delft. Or Maastricht, if you want southeast Netherlands.

I also agree that you should try to avoid driving in Amsterdam. The public transportation system in the Netherlands and Belgium is clean, safe and very efficient to use.

Robyn
Oct 29th, 2010, 02:23 AM

Do you want to use it as abase for your entire stay, or only for the Amsterdam part of the trip?

For your entire stay then Breda and area would be nice, Den Bosch also. Maastricht is too near Well to make sense for getting to Amsterdam.

You could consider Haarlem, Utrecht, Hilversum, Amersfoort for the Netherlands part of your trip. All with good motorway links and fast direct trains to Amsterdam. Well is about 2 hours drive from any of them.
Don't take a car in to Amsterdam, parking is really expensive, unless you use a P+R on the outskirts. Even then it's not cheap.

Alternatively look at other websites for accommodation in Amsterdam. Try contacting the tourist board for instance, or search on here for where others have stayed in the city.
Oct 29th, 2010, 02:37 AM

Leiden
Oct 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for this helpful advice. You are great. I will look further into the package.

Don't you love traveling???
Nov 14th, 2010, 02:46 AM

I'm not sure why maastricht was suggested. It's really out-of-the-way if you want to stay somewhere between A'dam & brugge. Maastricht is in limburg province in the far southeastern corner of the netherlands! Utrecht is a good suggestion & it's a nice city with great restaurants and sunken canals (picturesque)! Breda is another town almost equidistant from A'dam & Brugges but I'm not sure about rail connections there.