Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

9 two star hotels in Paris, which would you choose and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! I have done a bit of research for 2 star hotels in the 6th Arrondisement and some nearby. I have made the following list and I need to choose one, can you help me pick and give you opinion?? Thanks alot!!

1) Hotel Famila, 5th Arr
2) Hotel des Ecoles, 6th Arr
3) Hotel Perreyve, 6th Arr
4) Hotel des Balcons, 6th Arr
5) Hotel Michelet Odeon, 6th Arr
6) Hotel Le Clement, 6th Arr
7) Grand Hotel Leveque, 7th Arr
8) Hotel de France, 7th Arr
9) Hotel Du Lys, 6th Arr
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:34 PM
MAP

We stayed at the Balcons for 1 week in 2002, and were very comfortable, loved the full breakfast, helpful staff, perfect location, great restaurants in the same block, and last, the price! Our room was a large double, corner room with balcony, no trouble with noise as street is quiet. Clean, not luxurious, but very adequate. No air conditioning may be the only negative.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that response, A/C will not be a setback since we will be going in December and we are from the tropics.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Hi Ingrid,

I've stayed at 3 hotels from your list (Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, Balcons, Michelet-Odeon). The Ecoles was my favorite for the prettiness of the rooms and the garden (but since you're going in December it won't matter).

The Balcons and Michelet-Odeon had better locations; closer to the Seine and more (good) restaurant choices. I stayed at M-O in April and it was noisy on the back side. Can't comment on how the noise level would be on the front but it has to be much better. The traffic (busses, motorcycles, garbage trucks) go up the street behind the hotel. Other than the noise level the staff was friendly and helpful and the beds were good. The rooms were very plain and the lobby and breakfast room very basic.

I haven't stayed at the Balcons for several years but it was looking a bit worn the last time I stayed there. I've read on this board that they have a breakfast buffet which they didn't used to have. I like the idea of the small balconies on the street side and the hotel is very quiet.

All three have elevators.

Of these 3, I'd choose the Balcons in December because of the location and no noise.

I see that Hotel Muguet isn't on your list and wonder why if you're thinking about staying in the 7th. It's a great deal for the money (I've stayed there).
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:00 PM

I'm not really sure and I haven't stayed in any of them -- although I'm sure you won't find anyone who's stayed in a lot of these to compare between them. First, I'd choose one in the 6th because I prefer that area to the 7th and I would not stay on rue Cler; I don't like the location of the Familia, myself. It's hard to tell without really seeing the rooms in person, but I'd probably choose the Balcons or Lys or Michelet Odeon. I do like the location of the Perreyve and Ecoles -- the latter might be okay, also. I prefer something a little more stylish than basic Ikea, if possible. I know they all are, really. The Balcons is really quite a lot more expensive than some of these others, though -- I saw rates up to 150 euro for a double and I wouldn't stay there for that rate.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I would choose Grand Leveque. I haven't stayed in any of the others, but the rooms though small are as neat and clean as can be, the bathrooms are totally modern, the location is fun, on the Rue Cler outdoor market street and it is more "French" feeling than some of the other more touristy locations in the 5th and 6th. Also, laundry, post office, bank and ATM, patisserie all right there. If you want to learn more about Rue Cler, see www.ricksteves.com and search on there for his Rue Cler street tour. Bon voyage!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:02 PM

In reference to last post, the Hotel des Ecoles is not the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the 5th. It's a 2* hotel in St-Germain on rue Mr le Prince. I agree there are several other good 2* choices in the 7th, like the Muguet.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Christina, Adrienne just posted that she stayed in 3 of the 9 hotels including La Muguet, thanks for the advice on The Muguet. I do recall looking at their site but cannot remember why I did not select it. Will check again. Yes the Hotel Ecoles I had mentioned is in the 6th Arr but I see that the Grand Hotel Ecoles in the 5th good also. Thank you both
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

I am still hoping to get more responses to this thread
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 07:20 PM

I stay at the Hôtel de France in the 7me all the time, but I wouldn't necessarily expect others to love it as much as I do, as I have been staying there for years and years and been through the renovation, which turned the lobby into a kind of slightly bizarre African motif. Also, not all the rooms are renovated yet, so you need to know which rooms to ask for. That said, I absolutely love this hotel. The staff are amazing - they always give me free bottles of good champagne (and I don't even drink champagne normally) and there is cheap internet access in the lobby now. The mattresses are to die for, but there are still some rooms that are really spare (though they have ensuite bathrooms, minibars, hairdryers, etc). I think this place is a wonderful hotel but maybe it's for dévotées who've established a relationship over the years. One could never describe the rooms as "charming." They are nicely furnished and serviceable, but if you're looking for Parisian "charm," this isn't the place. Still, I love it as I've come to know it over so many years. And the price is right and I love the neighborhood.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have stayed at the Familia and the Grand Hotel des Balcons. I liked the location of both these hotels. The Familia is close to several metro lines and an easy walk to the Seine and Notre Dame, lots of interesting restaurants in the neighborhood. A very studenty feel in the street as it is close to the university. Lots of bookstores, small independent movie theaters. A great bakery (Maison Kaiser) a couple blocks away, and a nice street market at the Maubert-Mutualite metro stop.

The Familia had the smaller room and the smaller bathroom, with less room for storage of luggage and clothes. No luggage room, so if your room isn't ready you leave your luggage in the breakfast room off the lobby.

The Grand Hotel des Balcons was about the same price, at least when I was there three years ago. The balcony off the room was very small, but it was useful when I stepped in some of that dog stuff that I have become better at avoiding since, and I had to leave the shoes outside overnight. There is a luggage room where we left our luggage the last day before leaving for the airport. The room and the bathroom were both very small, but still larger than at the Familia. There were a few more amenities than at the Familia as well.

Great location, easy walk to the Odeon metro, lots of good restaurants, book stores, very close to the Jardin du Luxembourg. Breakfast buffet (as opposed to the continental breakfast at the Familia).
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Another vote for the Balcons. Location, friendly staff, and reasonable price all make it a very good choice.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:49 PM

Hi!
In this area, I can advise you to go to the hotel Saint Paul: http://www.h-saintpaul.com/index.html , it is not expensive and well located. I also know the hotel Cardinal Rive Gauche: http://www.hotelcardinal.com/index.html or Saint Dominique (a 2 stars hotel, well located and not expensive): http://www.saintdominique.com/index.html
I hope I've been helpful!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Another vote for the Hotel Muguet which is not on your list, get the large double though if there are two of you as the small double had a ridiculously small bathroom and not enough room for two people in the bedroom. It is in a quiet residential section of Paris but it was close enough to walk to many things and with a metro close by.

We are going in December as well and wanted to stay in the Latin Quarter, a lot of the hotels are already booked for the time between xmas and NY so if that's when you are going, book soon. We have booked the Hotel de la Sorbonne which still had availability.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:51 AM

I have stayed at the hotel Leveque and Hotel de France Invaldes. Like StCirq I prefer the de France, rooms #403 #503 #603 have queen size beds and great views of Invaldes. I usually arrive before 8am and my room has always been ready a bonus after an all night flight. Hotel de France has an eclectic breakfast buffet compared to Hotel Leveque"s baguette and croissant fare. Both hotels are convenient to bus, metro, restaurants and tourist sights.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:42 PM

How about Hotel Lepic in the 18th Arr? I've stayed in this charming hotel just two blocks from Moulin Rouge, and just a few doors from the famed cafe/bar of Amelie movie.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:14 PM

We stayed at Balcons for a week in 2002. Would certainly go back there again. The location was wonderful, it was quiet, comfy and the staff very helpful. We didn't have breakfast there the first morning as we thought we could find something better for less in the neighborhood. Ha. Believe me, it is a good deal. They also served wonderful coffee...as much as you wanted. And for us that's a real plus.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:19 PM

We've booked the Muguet based on reports from this site, our price range, and location. A friend who was in Paris a couple years ago said she loved the place she stayed but couldn't recall the name, so we went ahead with the Muguet. The day after booking our friend found her old info & it was the Muguet she stayed at! A good sign, I think.

We won't be there until May, but I'll report back after then. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.