arriving Shannon
plan currently is drive to Killarney
3 nights, maybe go to Kinsale 1 night?
3 nights Dingle
1 night Doolin
last night Bunratty or other?
What do the veteran travelers thinK?
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:53 AM

What time of year are you planning on going? Daylight varies greatly from darkness at 4:30 vs 10pm .

If you are spending your last night in Bunratty - look into doing the medieval banquet - a good bit of fun for your last night.

Depending on the time of year - 1 night might not be enough for Kinsale - It is about 2 hrs from Killarney, probably 3 - 4 from Dingle, so a lot of your day there /back will be driving. Maybe do 2 nights each Killarney/Kinsale/Dingle?

You will get some differing opinions on Killarney - I loved it ( have been there on each of my trips, and wouldn't miss it) others hate it - claiming it is too 'touristy' - My feeling is that a place gets 'touristy' for a reason . Good location, lots to do, plenty of things to see , etc.

Debbie
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for tthe reply, We are going the last week of August. Any recommendations for accomodations,etc? Thanks
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:11 PM

If you go to my post where I listed B&B reviews
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34414657

you will find the places I stayed.
For Doolin - Cullinans was fine, just NOT fabulous. See if you can get in at Sea View - they have had some good reviews.

It really all depends on your budget - I was aiming for 35pps, with a splurge in Kinsale at the charthouse (65pps). Totally worth it - very luxurious rooms there.

Since you will still be there during the high season, and you know you want to 'base' yourself for multiple nights, I suggest booking ahead , especially for Doolin and Kinsale.

I haven't made it to Dingle yet, but have heard good things about Heaton's

(I personally like to book all of my lodging in advance - less to worry about when I get to a new town - I already know what to expect , from all my research. )
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Hi- Since this is your first time to Ireland, I may suggest doing more...Last year I took my mother for her first time and we did the following:
upon arrival stayed in Adare, next day drove to Dingle and stayed the night, next did ring of kerry and stayed in Kenmare, went down to Kinsal (forgot the town we stayed), then made our way back up to the Burren area and stayed outside Galway, then went north of Galway and stayed two nights in Clifden. We loved the Connemara area. I just think for only being there 7 nights you can definately cram more into your vacation than what you already have in mind. But I guess it depends on whether you want to see as much as possible or spend more time in a few places.

Jul 15th, 2003, 07:03 AM

There are definitely 2 schools of thought on traveling, especially in Ireland.

Do you want to stay in a different town each night ( which includes packing up , and finding new lodging) or do you want to 'base' yourself out of a couple of places?

I understand both philosphies, but have to tell you, I am of the 'base' group. I make every effort to stay places at least 2 nights. Mostly because I love the feeling on that first morning when you wake up at the B&B - No packing up the suitcase, no loading the car, no frustration trying to find the next place to check in, no worries if you want to go back for a short rest in the middle of the day OR stay out sightseeing all day and not get back until after dinner - doesn't matter , you already have a key

I have heard good things about people who jump from town to town, but I have also heard of the "Green Blur" where some have been disappointed in their trip, because they never really got a chance to see an area, they were too busy getting to the next town and finding a place to stay, only to be off on the road again the next morning.

To each his own - and everyone needs to decide what kind of trip they want to have - Quantity? See as much as you possibly can every day, ( I believe the phrase was "cram more in" or Quality? - may not see as much, but really soak in the atmosphere, and the pace of the Irish.
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

You understand our philosophy, the experience is what we want, we can look at specific tourist areas in books,etc, that is why we want to have a base for getting to know the area. Thanks
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone ever stayed at the Arbutus or Southern Hotel in Killarney, and do you have reccomendation for accomodations in Kinsale, Doolin or Ennis? We will be staying at Heatons in Dingle, Thanks