Killarney....Yay or Nay?

Mar 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Killarney....Yay or Nay?

Still planning my Ireland itinerary...We'll be there for 8 nights in May. Killarney has been suggested for several nights as a good base for day trips. However, reading (and Rick Steves) suggests it's pretty commercial and lacking in atmosphere. I'm thinking of: 1 night Shannon/Bunratty (we fly in there); 2 nights Kinsale; 1 night Kenmare; 3 nights Dingle; 1 night Doolin. Would appreciate any input on this! Thanks!
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Rick is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. I would not take it as gospel though. Nothing wrong with Killarney in my opinion although Kenmare is a favorite. Where you stay depends on what you want to do in the area.

Like everyone else on this forum you have a short time. You are short-changing Kenmare/Killarney in favor of Kinsale. I would drop Kinsale. Two nights might be enough in Dingle, again depending on what you want to do there.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM

I don't agree about Kinsale; it is a good place to overnight, and offers great dining possibilities.

I might do 2 Kinsale, 2 Kenmare, 2 Dingle, but a lot depends on what Natalie wants to do with the days.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

How about 1 night Kinsale, 2 nights Kenmare, 2 nights Dingle & 1 night Doolin? Sounds like Killarney area is a good jumping off point for a lot of different sights.
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Natalie, you seem to have lost some nights!
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh no! We don't have enough time as it is! You can probably tell that one of my problems is that I don't yet know how we want to spend our time. Interested in small towns, coastline, Irish music/pub time, ancient ruins. First night in Bunratty as we fly into Shannon, then 1 night Kinsale, 2 nights Kenmare, 3 nights Dingle, 1 night Doolin.
Mar 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM

I like Kinsale well enough but don't adore it. I would never go there on a Fri/Sat/Sun. Only mid-week for me when I can avoid the gridlock and crowds.