8 Day Itinerary Help In Ireland

Mar 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

8 Day Itinerary Help In Ireland

We will be traveling to Ireland the last week in April and will have 8 full days for exploration. I am really at a loss trying to figure out an itinerary. There is so much information I have become overwhelmed trying to plan! We will be renting a car and driving ourselves. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best route to take and cities to stay based on drive time. Our must see items are as follows:
1. Cliffs of Moher
2. Blarney Castle
3. Clonmacnoise
4. Kilmacduagh Cathedral Churches And Round Tower
5. Rock of Cashel
6. Dingle peninsula
7. Newgrange
8. Ring of Kerry
We fly into and out of Dublin. On the 7th night we already have a room booked at Ashford Castle, so we will need to be in that area, and make our way to Dublin by the end of the 8th day. We would also like to try to squeeze in Giant's Causeway and Dunluce Castle if at all possible. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!
Mar 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM

That is a very aggressive plan. Especially w/ Dublin at both ends. And it really isn't possible to include Northern Ireland/Giants Causeway.

I'd consider flying directly on to Cork after landing in Dublin. Stay the night to (barely) recover from the jet lag and then pick up a car and head out. You'll have 6 VERY full/hectic days. In your route planning figure about 30MPH.
Mar 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Flying in/out Dublin is a mistake. Can you make it open jaw with Shannon?
Mar 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM

I think you are going to have to trim your 'must sees'. You have nine of them in different places and only eight days on the ground.

Take a look at a map and figure 35 mph. Assuming you are from the US, your first day in Dublin may be low key due to jet lag. You could go north to Newgrange the second day.

From there, everything is south. One week is just not enough to see all your sites and have time to get out of the car.
Mar 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the flights are already booked . We fly into Dublin April 27th in the morning around 8:00am, and figured we could rest in the morning at the hotel and take in some sights in the afternoon and evening and then relax for the night. Then start out on the journey the next morning. I figured N. Ireland might be a little too much. If there is a way to fit in the rest, I would be so happy. This is really a once in a lifetime vacation for us, so we are really excited. We fly out of Dublin on the 9th morning, so is there really even a way possible to fit it all in? Any advice and tidbits are very appreciated!!
Mar 13th, 2011, 04:11 AM

We landed in Dublin, got the car and drove to Belfast right away. It was the first time we took on a relatively long drive right after a transatlantic flight but it really help the logistics of the trip from that point on. So based on that, I would say upon landing get on the car and head South immediately; shoot for the Rock of Cashel, even if you cannot get there on that day try to get close and then start your sightseeing at a slower pace. The suggestion to take another short flight to Cork is good as well; same concept-- sprint to a head start. Explore Dublin the last couple of days; no car.
Mar 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM

We did a trip similar to yours, but over three weeks. Flew into and out of Dublin. Southwest Ireland should be seen by car. Driving from Dublin to Cork will take too much time for too little sightseeing.

The Cliffs of Moher are very touristy now (I've been there twice), lots of tour buses and very restricted access to the Cliffs. They are lovely to see, but very crowded, although perhaps less so than in the summer.

Remember that Clonmacnoise is remote from your other points of interest.

Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula are both similar terrain. I'd choose one or the other, but not both.

The advice about 35 mph is very accurate.
Mar 14th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful information! I definitely have some things to think about and take into consideration. You have helped me tremendously!