7 Hours in Athens Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we will have 7 free hours layover in Athens Airport waiting for an ongoing flight. I do not want to go back into Athens as we will be spending a few days there earlier in our vacation. I just saw that its possible to rent a car for the day. Does anybody have any suggestions for any cute little villages to drive to from the airport and spend a few hours? Many thanks, AP (My other idea was just to book into the Sofitel Airport Hotel and chill, but that may be a little expensive)
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I would go to Rafina. It is a seaside town very close to the airport, and a very pleasant place to eat lunch at the many seaside restaurants. There is a bus that runs regularly from the airport to Rafina and back. FYI, ferries to a number of islands leave from Rafina. You could also rent a car as you suggest, and drive from the airport to Loutsa and north up the coast to Nea Makri.
All of the shore villages have their own charm and are well worth the trip.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Elini Thank you so much! In the meantime I had looked into Rafina. I also looked at the possiblity of driving down to see the Temple of Poseidon and stopping at the little towns along the way. Now I have to look up North. Thanks Again, Anne
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:25 PM

I second Rafina. My brother lived there when he taught in Athens and I visited him for two glorious weeks. Lovely town.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Sounion is very beautiful, no doubt about it. But. Hmm. Sounion is sort of in the middle of nowhere. I guess you could go to Sounion on the fast roads, check it out, and then drive back to the airport along the coast with a stop at one of the seaside restaurants in Porto Rafti for lunch.