Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 7 days in Italy with my daughter - itinerary help?

7 days in Italy with my daughter - itinerary help?

Mar 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

7 days in Italy with my daughter - itinerary help?

Hi,
I am taking my daughter (13) to italy in August for 7 nights and would love help deciding where to go. We know that we want to spend 3-4 nights in Venice, and not do too much jumping around. For the 2nd half of the trip we are considering either: staying in N. Italy (perhaps Verona, a lake town, etc); or renting a car to go to Tuscany, San Giminiano, Sienna etc. I would love advice on which area, and where to stay. I'd say her main goal is to see & draw "cute Italian towns, architecture and culture" more than big cities, major art, major scenery. Thanks!
Mar 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Where will you be flying in and out of?
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM

tt
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:38 PM

It's a good idea to rent a car at that time of year because the weather is going to be very, very hot, and an air conditioned car and a place in the countryside with a pool can really help take off the edge. Italy is not so big that it matters much where you go, although with 7 days, you are wise to stay geographically compact. Also, a car offers you more chances to get into small corners of Italy where the culture is unspoiled by tourism.

I think two areas that most fit your daughters desires are Tuscany south of Siena (Siena is a city) and Liguria (which is wonderfully colorful). Show her pictures of both. Liguria (and Venice) are places to eat seafood, if that makes a difference. The architecture in the small towns of Tuscany south of Siena is more interesting than the architecture of Liguria.

I suggest you see Verona as a day trip from Venice.
Apr 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

thank you! we are flying in and out of Milan, if that helps. any particular small town south of siena that would be sweet to stay in for a couple of nights?
Apr 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Montalcino is south of Siena, but Pienza might be a good choice too. Both having sweeping views while Montalcino is more of a hilltown.

Search this Thread