Search

Dub Cty Cent Hotel/rent car in Dublin vs.airport/walk from bus to hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dub Cty Cent Hotel/rent car in Dublin vs.airport/walk from bus to hotel

Hi,

Would love hotel recommendations for Dublin City Centre, vicinity of Trinity/Merrion Square/St Stephen's Green. Need a place that has easy access to a hop on/hop off tour stop. We don't mind lots of walking, but need to have a backup plan in place too since we'll be toting our toddler along with us.

I noticed the Westin mentioned in a trip report (though not sure how recent that report was) Is 177 Euro/night a good price for the Westin? It seems to be right about where we'd like to be, and though it's a bit spendy I think it might be worth it for the location and level of service. Thoughts? I'm happy to spend less elsewhere...

Also, since we plan to use the bus or walk for touring the city, we don't need to pick up our car on our day of arrival. However, would be easier to just get it then rather than deal with trying to get somewhere to rent on Monday afternoon? (We'd want the car for a trip to Newgrange Tuesday morning.) Or are there rental spots in the City Centre to which we could walk or take the bus?

A tag on question with the car rental/bus. If we do not get the car at the airport, we'll need to hop a bus into the city, which will get us to Busarus. Which means we'll need to walk to the hotel from there or possibly catch a bus which will get us to the Tara Street Station, which seems to be the closest DART stop to the Westin, and then again, walk to the hotel. How long of a walk would this be? It matters at this point mainly because we will have luggage and have been up for probably 24 hours unless we are fortunate enough to have slept on the plane. Not a good state in which to walk the streets of a major city, I think... Just wondering if it's simply because I am unaccustom to using public transit that I think this might be a problem, or if it really is an issue.

Many thanks,

Sandra
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

bump...
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Regarding your last question:
You could take the Aircoach (NOT Airbus, which terminates at Busaras) services from DUB. They have a stop at Trinity College/ Grafton St which should be only a stone's throw from the Westin. Ticket costs €7 pP, €12 return.
But a taxi is also not THAT expensive (I'm a bit lost trying to remember, but I think it is around 25-30), so if you are really feeling jet-lagged it may be the best alternative, especially with regard to your luggage and toddler in tow..
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy! I had noticed there were two buses available but didn't see that one would make it closer to the hotel. That's definitely an option.

I suspect the challenge of installing the child seat into the taxi might be more than we will be up for after all night on a plane as well. LOL But it is certainly an option
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM

A car is useless in Dublin - since not only can;t you drive/park it, but you're paying for the rental and then extra to keep it in a garage. Wait and pick it up when you leave the city.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:06 AM

I always stay here when I go up to Dublin - www.premiersuitesdublin.com - having extra space and a kitchen might be worth it with a toddler. The Aircoach stops outside the door of the apartments.
I would avoid driving into Dublin on the night you arrive, maybe the car rental company would deliver the car to the hotel on the day you need it? Europcar.ie seem to deliver and collect to hotels in Dublin city centre.
Failing that, you could get the Aircoach to Drumcondra or the airport and pick up your car there.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow Bumbly, that looks like a great place... Is it really as fastactic as the pictures?

It would definitely be convenient to have the kitchen.

I think there are some car rental locations in the city centre area, so I think I will look into those for picking up the day before we go to the Boyne. I will need to park it for one night though.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Hi Sandra, yes it really does look like in the pictures. Obviously it doesn't have hotel amenities like bar/ restaurant/room service, but you can order in food from most of the restaurants in the area and there is a free internet point in the lobby as well as free tea/coffee. Each apartment has a washer/dryer which is handy when travelling.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Sandra, we are doing a similar trip. 2 days in Dublin and then off to Newgrange. We are debating whether we should just rent the car at the airport initially or 2 days later. Believe it or not, it's cheaper to get it right away. We would book for 10 days, instead of 8 (10-day rate is cheaper) Then we don't have to pay for transport into and out of Dublin. We are parking it for free - staying at Waterloo House in Ballsbridge (free parking) It also saves us time in the morning so we can get to Newgrange early. I drove in London last year and was okay with that.
Another thing to think about - if we decide to not rent initially and wait the 2 days, we are going back to the airport to rent. Last year, we rented from Hertz in London's city center, not the airport. There was very little choice of cars - led to a problem. I would feel safer going back out to the airport to rent, more cars there. Good luck.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Steady! We have also decided just to rent from the airport from the get go.

Bumbly - thanks. We had pretty much decided to go with the apartment, but I can't seem to get them to reply to my email asking if they have a crib available. Even if it's a no, I'm not sure why they wouldn't at least reply within 10 days.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Hi Sandra, I just dropped them an email and they checked back to 10 days ago and said they had sent a few emails to a lady that were returned as undeliverable, so maybe that was you.
Anyway, they do have a cot available, you'll just need to let them know what dates you need it for.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Bumbly you are so kind, thanks for checking on this for me!

I did finally hear from them earlier this week. The sales manager emailed me from her personal email account - for some reason their other messages kept bouncing! So we are booked for our first three nights in an apt, thanks again for the recommendation!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 03:05 AM

You're welcome, hope you enjoy it. One thing that just occurred to me, the door into the kitchen area has an automatic closer (must be for fire regulations), and with a toddler you'll probably want it kept open - the door stop was under the sink in our apt. We only found it just before we checked out!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Actually, it might be easiest to keep him OUT of the kitchen. LOL Thanks again for the tips!