Leaving soon for Italy. Need some help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping someone could look over my final itinerary and tell me what they think. I've been crazy trying to plan this trip but it is both my fiance and my first time in Italy.

We have 4 nights (Aug. 8th until the 12th) at Sette Querce between the Val d'Orcia and Valdichian. The location got amazing reviews from Conde Nast Traveler.

We are looking to stay in places in Siena for four nights (Aug 12 until the 15th) and are leaning toward the Palazzo Ravizza. My fiance isn't sure he wants to stay right in the city so the second choice is Hotel Villa Sassolini in Monicioni (Montevarchi).

Then we are heading to Florence (August 15 until the 20th). We are planning to stay the JK Place. Also, got wonderful reviews.

I would love to hear how this sounds....
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:39 AM

to the top
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:57 AM

TTT
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Most of it sounds fine to me, but while I know and like the Palazzo Ravizza in Siena, I think four nights in Siena is at least two nights too many.

Since you mention the possiblity of saying outside Siena, I assume you will have a car. I would then suggest that you base yourself somewhere south of Siena in an agriturismo or hotel from which it is easier to take day trips (although the Palazzo Ravizza has its own parking, it's still not the easiest place to move in and out of) and take in Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino. I would strongly suggest seeing the lovely 12th-century church of Sant'Antimo, not very far from Montalcino.

There are literally dozens of threads about hill towns in Tuscany. Type Tuscany or Toscana into the search box and you will find a huge amount of information about them.

Distances are short, the roads are quite good, and you can see a great many lovely things in a day.

A note on navigating: If you are on a road and you come to a crossroad with the names of various towns posted as being in one direction or another and nothing posted about the town you are heading for, then the answer is always "Sempre diritto" or "Straight ahead".

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM

In Florence, I was torn between the JK Place and the Lungarno Suites. In the end we opted for the Lungarno Suites as it is on the river and a bit closer to the sites. I would love to hear what you thought of JK Place. It looks great on the website and gets good reviews. I really enjoyed the Lungarno Suites and would recommend it.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Sounds great to me! We will be in FLorence around the same time. (Sweating!) Debating between Lungarno Suites, Lungarno Hotel, JK PLace, Excelsior, the Savoy and the Grand.
ANy other comments on the Florence hotels??
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

I keep hearing that JK Place is amazing...
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like it might be better to stay outside Siena instead of in the city. I think we might change to one of two places we found not so far from Siena but in the countryside, Villa il Tesoro or Villa Sassolini. Has anyone heard of either of these?